Men's Tennis wins NCAA Championship

Cavaliers earn dramatic 4-3 victory against UCLA for first title

The Virginia men’s tennis team capped a perfect season Tuesday with a 4-3 win against UCLA to earn its first NCAA Championship in program history.

Sophomore Mitchell Frank rallied from a 3-5 deficit in the third set at No. 3 singles in the decisive match against junior Adrien Puget to clinch the title. Frank staved off a team match point in dramatic fashion as Puget’s attempted winner from the net was disallowed after his foot made contact with the net.

With the score even at deuce, Frank kept the Cavaliers’ hopes alive and put the match back on serve by taking the game to make the set 4-5. Frank won the next three games to complete the comeback and Virginia’s (30-0) first undefeated season.

The Cavaliers became the first ACC team to capture an NCAA men’s tennis title and became just the 14th different winner in the Tournament’s 67-year history.

Virginia captured the doubles point by winning at No. 1 and No. 3 singles to take a 1-0 lead. Junior Justin Shane gave the Cavaliers a 2-0 edge by winning in quick fashion at No. 5 singles, beating Bruins junior Clay Thompson 6-2, 6-2. UCLA won the next two matches at No. 2 and No. 4 singles to even the score at 2-2.

Senior Jarmere Jenkins, who was named ITA National Senior Player of the Year earlier Tuesday, topped Bruins sophomore Dennis Novikov in straight sets to regain the lead, 3-2. With a chance to secure the title, senior Julen Uriguen squandered a first set victory to lose 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 6 singles and set up Frank’s heroics at No. 3 singles.

Frank and Jenkins were named to the NCAA All-Tournament team for singles while the pairings of Jenkins and freshman Mac Styslinger at No. 1 and Shane and Uriguen at No. 3 earned the doubles honors. In addition, Jenkins was named the NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player.