Dorm renovations unveiled

First-year students settle into Lile-Maupin, Tuttle-Dunnington, Shannon residence halls

Nearly 600 first-year students moved into the new Lile-Maupin, Tuttle-Dunnington, and Shannon dorms on Alderman Road last weekend. A combined $69.8 million went into the construction of the new five-story buildings as part of the ongoing Alderman Road construction project.

This marks the completion of the third phase of the project which began in 2006 with the construction of Kellogg dorm. Dunnington, Maupin, Lile and Tuttle suite-style dorms were demolished in recent years to make way for the new buildings.

The new dorms feature quiet study spaces, social lounges with flat screen televisions, mini kitchens and energy-saving technology including larger windows and motion sensor lights. Shannon House also has a mailroom for the entire Alderman Road residence area, as well as classroom space and a computer lab.

With the completion of these dorms, the new Alderman Road dorms will form a community centered around green space, similar to that of the old dorms. “We now have a clear path from Kellogg House to Alderman Road,” said Patricia Romer, director for business and facility services for housing and residence life, in a press release. “We have had construction sites there for six years, and now that it is open it helps tie the area together.”

The final phase of the project began with the destruction of Dunnington dorm this summer and will be completed by the summer of 2015. Courtenay, Dunglison and Fitzhugh are expected to stay first-year housing until 2020.