Cheers for beers

Two new local breweries, a taphouse all come to town

Charlottesville has never been a stranger to the libation scene. Thomas Jefferson set the standard with his love for elaborate parties and wine, and not much has changed in the past 200 years. With an amazing bar selection, local brewery Starr Hill and numerous wineries within a stone’s throw of Grounds, it is easy to take for granted the numerous alcohol options at our disposal.

Yet just when you thought things couldn’t get any better for a small college town, they did. Within the past 20 months, Charlottesville has seen the introduction of two new breweries — one that is within walking distance of Grounds — as well as a new taphouse behind Barracks Road Shopping Centre, with daily specials including a “steal the glass” night every Tuesday.

In January 2012, Champion Brewery opened its doors, bringing some of the best beer in the area to our own backyard. Located on 6th Street, about a five-minute drive from Grounds, Champion offers a laid back vibe complemented by some serious brews.

The Ghidorah Belgian Tripel was the highlight of my visit. A beer with 8.5 percent alcohol by volume could easily get you in some serious trouble. It is smooth, florally aromatic and has mellow fruity notes. Open Wednesday through Sunday, Champion is a great place to start off the evening or have a low-key night out.

Local food trucks often park outside, creating the perfect hometown vibe and allowing you to try some creative foods while enjoying some of the best beers in town. Beers are all priced around $5 and range from seasonal brews to IPAs and lagers.

As if Champion wasn’t enough, another great craft brewery opened this past August. Three Notch’d Brewery, within a five-minute walk of the Corner, opened next to McGrady’s Irish Pub on Grady Avenue. Named after the historic three notch’d trail that went through colonial central Virginia, the brewery strives to make connections with the community not only historically, but also through their delicious beer.

Standouts include their 40 Mile IPA and No Veto English Brown Ale. The 40 Mile IPA is the Three Notch’s flagship beer — and for good reason. Unlike many recent IPAs, which are aggressively hoppy, this is refreshing, with notes of tropical fruit, and has just the right amount of bitterness. The No Veto English Brown Ale is a medium-bodied brown ale with a hint of espresso and toffee.

Perhaps the best part of Three Notch’d Brewery is how well it caters to the indecisive. For $8 , visitors can try all seven brews on tap in generous tasters. Not only do you get to try all of the brewery’s selections, but trying different types of beer side by side also is a great way to learn the ins and outs of what exactly makes a great craft beer.

Last but not least, this summer brought Sedona Taphouse to Charlottesville. Located in the Millmont Shops behind Barracks Road, Sedona Taphouse brings both a massive beer selection an expert bartending staff. What makes Sedona truly special, however, is its weekly specials. Every Monday night is $5 steak night, while Tuesdays — my personal favorite — is “Tap Takeover.” Every Tuesday, a different brewery takes control of the taps at Sedona, and by ordering their beer guests receive a free pint glass. Visitors are likely to appreciate an event that combines a cool way to learn about different breweries around the country with a means to expand one’s collection of beer paraphernalia.

It seems the opportunities for good beer in Charlottesville are only growing. Between Champion’s great laid-back vibe, Three Notch’d Brewery’s proximity to Grounds, and Sedona Taphouse’s massive beer menu and stellar weekly specials, any Charlottesville beer fan’s quest for a great pint is only getting easier.