"Revenge" strikes again

ABC’s hit series “Revenge” has returned with a new season that promises to bring as much drama and action as the last. The show chronicles the life of Amanda Clarke (Emily VanCamp), a wealthy socialite seeking to avenge her father’s wrongful death. Under the guise of high-status philanthropist Emily Thorne, Amanda remains obsessed with her singular quest, season after season, as ethical issues and moral quandaries abound.

In the cutthroat world of the Hamptons, Amanda’s father was framed for a crime he did not commit and sent to prison, where he was later mysteriously murdered. Amanda’s primary targets in her plot to unearth the truth behind this grisly imprisonment and homicide are the Graysons, who reign over the Hamptons’ social scene with ruthless malice, led by matriarch Victoria (Madeleine Stowe).

Despite the seemingly simple and single-minded nature of Amanda’s quest, the show has become extremely complicated in its two years on the air — and it ended last season with gripping questions left unanswered. Amanda’s friend Nolan Ross (Gabriel Mann) was thrown in jail, Amanda was left with no choice but to reveal her real identity to her childhood love, and Victoria’s long-lost son arrived at her doorstep.

Season three’s premiere proved a sensational follow-up to last spring’s cliffhanger. Amanda bails Nolan out of jail, Victoria reunites with her son Patrick Harper (Justin Hartley) and spends the summer getting to know him, and Amanda poisons newly elected governor Conrad Grayson (Henry Cznery).

Complicating matters, however, Aiden Mathis (Barry Sloane), Amanda’s former love interest, comes back to town, determined to team up with Victoria to take Amanda down once and for all.

Beyond the twists and turns of the plot, however, the new season shines brightest with its focus on character development. Amanda and Nolan’s friendship has always been a central aspect of the show, and seeing it progress during the premiere is exciting.

The show also refreshingly shows a different side of Victoria than the cold and calculating matriarch the audience has seen in the past. But as welcome as Victoria’s development is, Aiden’s evolution is equally infuriating. He knows Amanda too well and has too pronounced a romantic history with her to plausibly oppose her with the vigor that he now shows.

Unsurprisingly, season three seems to be setting up more barriers and minefields for Amanda, whose quest remains perpetually unfulfilled. I’m hopeful she will weather the storm. Fortunately for longtime viewers, the Victoria and Amanda rivalry, which has driven the show to this point, will persist. Amanda, in the role of Emily, plans on marrying Victoria’s son — a move sure to bring out the height of the show’s intensity this season.

And regardless of what drama is in store, I’m still pulling for Hampton’s favorite duo, Amanda and Nolan. It looks like there is an amazing season yet to come.