“Legally Blonde” Looks Pretty in Pink

As first-year College student Victoria Tovig prepares to step into the role of Elle Woods this weekend, she has one solemn warning for her audience: “expect lots of pink.”

Still, not everything has been rosy ahead of First Year Players’ anticipated production of “Legally Blonde: the Musical.” Director Richard Farella, a fourth-year Engineering student, chose to put on this musical despite the formidable obstacles, ranging from complicated set requirements to a need for impressive vocal talent. So after receiving approval from the FYP selections committee, Farella dove right into auditions, casting and long hours of rehearsals.

Juxtaposed with last spring’s “Oklahoma!,” a more traditional incarnation of musical theater, “Legally Blonde” has proved more technically demanding. And although FYP has repeated several shows in the past 20 years — including “Cabaret,” “Godspell” and “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” — “Legally Blonde” is an organization first.

Although Farella, the main artistic and interpretive authority behind this production, said the show differs from the movie, the plot differences appear few and far between. It seems safe to say those who enjoyed the 2001 feature film will also appreciate everything the stage musical has to offer. One of the most significant differences, Farella said, is that the play’s characters enjoy more developed personalities.

The plot remains focused on Elle, a sorority president and fashionista extraordinaire. In both the movie and the musical, Woods doggedly follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School to prove her worth and win his affection. Led by her strong heart, she embarks on a journey of self-discovery, getting help from friends both old and new along the way. The cast and artistic staff, though, agree there are themes exclusive to the stage production — ranging from the spontaneity of love to staying true to oneself — that lend the performance its heart-warming feel.

Both Tovig and fellow first-year College student Sophie Maus, who will stand trial on stage as Brooke Wyndham, said the characters are down-to-earth and relatable. Maus particularly likes her character’s “spunk,” while Tovig admires how “earnest and well-meaning” Elle is in the show.

“Legally Blonde: The Musical” will run Thursday through Sunday in the Student Activities Building, with each show beginning at 8 p.m.