A bad nut

Despite familiar talent, latest furry flick is tough to crack

Animated filmmakers walk a fine line, one that requires delicately balancing the entertainment of young target audiences and older viewers. It is this line which separates beloved films like “Madagascar,” “Finding Nemo” and “Cars” from their mediocre counterparts: “The Wild,” “Shark Tale” and “Planes.”

Unfortunately, new animated feature “The Nut Job” falls in the latter category, with its thin plot, unlikable characters and cheap jokes solidifying its place as one of the worst animated films in years.

“The Nut Job” follows Surly (voiced by Will Arnett), a stubborn squirrel whose egotistical actions isolate him from other park creatures. In an attempt to steal nuts from a local street vendor, he accidentally burns the creatures’ remaining food supply and is subsequently exiled to the city by the park’s authoritarian leader, Raccoon (Liam Neeson).

After a desperate search for nourishment, Surly devises a plan to rob Maury’s Nut Shop, which turns out to be a front as part of a mob’s bank robbery plans.

Yet before his plan even begins, Surly’s silent sidekick, Buddy the rat, jumpstarts a brief dance number to Psy’s “Gangnam Style.” I wish I was kidding.

And if you’re not already itching for the film’s immediate termination, the squirrel’s useless posse of moles, groundhogs and a shrill pug named Precious (Maya Rudolph) will soon prompt you to question both their intentions and your decision to watch the movie.

Guided by a level-headed squirrel named Andie (Katherine Heigl), the creatures embark on an action-packed adventure which, interestingly enough, features little actual action.

Objectively, an animated movie about squirrels is not a terrible premise. After all, Disney Pixar’s “Ratatouille” succeeds in turning household rats into compassionate, humanized creatures, so it’s not a far-fetched idea to personify their outdoor equivalent. “The Nut Job,” however, features irritating characters whose star-studded voices can’t offset their immature comedic jabs.

Surly is selfish, rude and bigheaded with little evolution throughout the film. Even more frustrating is Grayson (Brendan Fraser), the park “hero” whose overly confident, vapid attitude is brought center-stage through incompetent and oblivious remarks. Andie is more likable, but her character is ultimately bland and unmemorable.

The film’s shortcomings, however, aren’t solely attributed to its pesky characters. The plot also falls through, with underdeveloped storylines and distracting action scenes which complicate the narrative to the point of absurdity.

As perhaps should be expected, there’s little room for thorough character development when every five minutes a gang of animals attempts to break into a car, a house or a basement. By the time the film introduces an unimpressive plot twist, the audience’s investment is long gone.

There were perhaps parts of the film which stood out above the messy plot and thin characters — but then the cast danced with an animated version of Psy himself as the end credits rolled, and those moments are quickly forgotten.

Ultimately, “The Nut Job” fails to offer anything more than a host of bad nut-puns.

1 star