No. 17 Virginia beats Clemson, 63-58

<p>Redshirt sophomore guard Malcolm Brogdon hit four free throws down the stretch to seal Virginia&#8217;s win</p>

Redshirt sophomore guard Malcolm Brogdon hit four free throws down the stretch to seal Virginia’s win

The No. 17 Virginia men’s basketball team escaped with a 63-58 win on the road against Clemson Saturday. Behind 16 points from senior guard Joe Harris, the Cavaliers improved to 21-5 and 12-1 in the ACC.

The Tigers started the game on fire, hitting their first six shots to take an early 12-6 lead. Clemson would cool off as the game progressed, shooting 11-for-22 overall in the first half. Virginia fought back to tie the game at 21-21, and would complete a 12-0 run to take a 26-21 lead late in the first half. Sophomore center Mike Tobey recorded 10 points on 5-for-6 shooting in the first half as the Cavaliers took a 31-28 lead into halftime.

Clemson jumped out to a 33-31 lead early in the second half as Virginia went cold from the field. The Cavaliers made just one of their first 15 shots from the field in the second half, allowing the Tigers to take a 43-37 lead with just more than 10 minutes to go in the game. Clemson shot only 35 percent in the second half, giving Virginia the opportunity to hang around in spite of the team’s shooting woes. Virginia tied the game at 43-43, went ahead 45-43 and then remained in the lead for the rest of the game.

Redshirt sophomore guard Malcolm Brogdon finished with 14 points and eight rebounds, making four free throws down the stretch to seal with win. Redshirt sophomore forward Anthony Gill finished with 12 points to join Harris, Brogdon and Tobey in double figures.

With the win, Virginia moves to 12-1 in conference play — the team’s 12 ACC wins are the most ever under coach Tony Bennett. The Cavaliers return to action Tuesday, as they head to Blacksburg, Va. for a matchup against Virginia Tech.