Fifth-ranked rowing dominates in spring season opener

Virginia wins all 21 races at Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational

Finally back on the water after a long winter, the No. 5 Virginia women’s rowing team opened the spring season this weekend in Tennessee at the Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational. The Cavaliers swept the 21 races they competed in across the two-day event, a great start for their bid to win the NCAA title for the third time in five years.

Competition began Saturday with five races between Virginia and Minnesota. The Cavalier Varsity Eight went first, defeating the Gophers’ complement by 20.08 seconds. Four more victories followed for Virginia for the Second Varsity Eight, Varsity Four and Second and Third Varsity Fours. In the afternoon, the Cavaliers outraced new ACC foe No. 13 Notre Dame in all six races between the schools.

Action resumed Sunday as Virginia faced Michigan State and host No. 20 Louisville. The Cavaliers continued to win as the Varsity Eight, Second Varsity Eight, Varsity Four, Second Varsity Four and Third Varsity Four all prevailed. The Novice Eight, a last-minute addition for Virginia, was victorious in all three of its races despite being only the first collegiate regatta for the rowers.

Virginia’s next competition will be the Pac-12 Invite in Redwood Shores, Calif., held the last weekend of March.