No. 3 women's tennis trounces hapless Hokies

Virginia earns third shutout of the season in Blacksburg

<p>Rachel Pierson clinched the Cavalier victory with a 6-1, 6-2 victory. </p>

Rachel Pierson clinched the Cavalier victory with a 6-1, 6-2 victory.

The No. 3 Virginia women’s tennis team secured its second shutout win in a row Saturday, defeating No. 58 Virginia Tech (10-8, 3-6 ACC) in Blacksburg. The 7-0 victory marked the third sweep of the season for the Cavaliers (13-4, 7-1 ACC).

The Cavaliers easily claimed the doubles point with victories at second and third court. Senior Li Xi and sophomore Stephanie Nauta picked up the first win for Virginia, cruising to an 8-0 victory against junior Carol Kahoun and sophomore Raluca Mita. Sophomore duo Danielle Collins and Maci Epstein clinched the point, defeating senior Tea Ivanovic and freshman Sansitha Nandakumar, 8-4.

Nauta and Xi extended Virginia’s lead to three with 6-1, 6-1 victories on courts three and six respectively. Freshman Rachel Pierson defeated Nandakumar 6-1, 6-2 to clinch the win and give the Cavaliers a 4-0 lead. Third-ranked sophomore Julia Elbaba added a point at top-court when sophomore Ilinca Stoica retired from her match. Elbaba was leading 6-3, 4-1 when the match was retired. Epstein brought the score to 6-0 with her 7-5, 6-4 victory against Kahoun, and Collins completed the shutout, edging sophomore Kelly Williford 7-6(3), 6-1.

Virginia returns home April 5-6 to take on Georgia Tech and Clemson in the last home matches of the season.