WAN: The international experience

The University should be more inclusive of international students

I still remember the moment I got off the plane at Dulles Airport. I was totally exhausted. After walking through customs with two huge bags of luggage, I was finally able to take a rest on the UVaExpress. Being 7000 miles from home, and surrounded by many other international students who seemed to be just as tired as I was, I suddenly felt a sense of unity with them, while simultaneously feeling a sense of loneliness.

Going to the University can be both exciting and challenging for international students. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as the number two public university in the United States, the University is a distinguished institution with excellent faculty, academic support and a worldwide reputation. However, what discourages many international applicants from coming to the University is the fact that, compared with other top institutions, the University is better known for its liberal arts department than its practical sciences department, and the liberal arts are not very popular among international students and/or their parents. As a result, there is a relatively small percentage of international students on Grounds. It is understandably frustrating when international students realize that the majority of the students at the University come from “NOVA,” Washington, D.C. or Virginia Beach.

Although many international students come with a strong interest in learning about American culture, cultural disorientation can still be more difficult than anyone without such experience could possibly imagine. Some of the slightest details in daily life, such as tipping, ordering food and calling a taxi are totally different from those in their home countries. Getting along with hallmates and roommates, which is also a great concern for American first-years, could be a complete mystery for some international students who lack prior experience studying or living in America. Even more mysterious are the Greek system, party culture and football.

Getting involved on Grounds and achieving academic success can also be challenging. Many clubs and organizations are relatively selective, and many classes are difficult and demanding. International students can be even more deeply frustrated when they realize that their language proficiency is the single most significant factor that restricts their ability to get involved and to excel in class, instead of their time commitments or natural abilities.

However, these challenges, significant as they are, can also be transformed into opportunities for international students to immerse themselves into and experience American culture. The number of international students in the University is relatively small, compared to universities like the University of California, Berkeley. However, this helps to prevent the forming of cultural bubble. As a result, international students will have to exit their comfort zone, try to get to know people from other backgrounds, and thus cultivate their soft skills, while still being supported by a strong peer network of peers. The University will also benefit from the active interaction between international and American students, which would be conducive to inter-cultural understanding on Grounds. As an institution known for its liberal arts departments, the University also provides favorable conditions for international students to cultivate their interest in humanity subjects, explore their intellectual curiosity and participate in diverse activities.

This transformation, nevertheless, cannot be accomplished without the joint effort of the University and all students. As an international educational institution with amazing resources for helping international students to orient and adapt to life on Grounds, the University still needs to put more effort into promoting these resources to international students who might suffer from sense of isolation, depression or pressure, but might be hesitant to reach out due to the cultural influence of their own countries.

More importantly, it is crucial to raise awareness among American students at the University about the challenges international students face. Not only would a strengthened mutual understanding and support from peers help international students in their transitional phase, it would also benefit local students by increasing their interaction with people from different international backgrounds, preventing cultural stereotyping and promoting awareness and knowledge of global affairs.

According to a report released in July by the Student and Exchange Visitor System, a program within U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, currently over 900,000 F (academic) & M (vocational) students study in the United States, and they contributed about $24 million to the U.S. economy in the 2012-2013 academic year. At the University, according to the admission office, approximately 5 percent of students are from foreign countries. These international students have greatly contributed to the diversity of the University and bring valuable insights into the robust academic discussion on Grounds. When international students simultaneously face difficulties and challenges, it is necessary for the University to provide more accessible resources, to promote students’ awareness and understanding of international students, thus assisting international students with their efforts to fight against the frustration. The effort of the University will help make international students feel more welcomed and integrated into the community, so that they will truly feel proud for being Wahoos.

Sasha Wan is a Viewpoint Writer.