University Institute of World Languages commences second annual film series

Program seeks to bring multiculturalism to Grounds

The University Institute of World Languages kicked off its second film series Wednesday, an effort which will feature a host of movies — each in a different language with English subtitles — over the course of the semester. The Institute began the series with a panel discussion, featuring scenes from movies pertaining to diverse global filmic encounters.

Panelists Media Studies Prof. Aynne Kokas, Portuguese Prof. Eli Carter and Media Studies Department Chair Hector Amaya presented three types of filmic encounters — aesthetic, commercial and ideological — and scrutinized their intrinsic promises and difficulties. Each of the encounters were set in either China, Brazil or Mexico.

The College founded the Institute in 2012 to bring more language and culture to the University and expand language resources.

Associate Chinese Prof. Miao-fen Tseng, director of the Institute, said this was the objective of screening foreign films and the film series.

“The aim of the film series is to bring multiculturalism to Grounds by presenting language and cultural elements,” Tseng said. “We hope to promote global awareness and cultural appreciation by enhancing the foreign language experience at the University and the Charlottesville community.”

Regarding the process of choosing films for the series, Tseng said the Institute wanted to represent languages taught at the University, but otherwise let individual language departments select which movies to screen.

“U.Va. offers 21 foreign languages, 17 of them are spoken languages,” Tseng said. “This year we are featuring 10 movies in 10 of these languages. Faculties across the language departments get to choose, present and discuss the films.”

In an effort to encourage students to attend the film series, a number of language professors incorporated the series to their curricula, either by offering extra credit or directly informing students about the dates of film screening.

Second-year College student Tom Soles said he found out about the series through his professor and is glad to have the opportunity to experience it.

“I heard about the film series from my Chinese professor,” Soles said. “I am glad that I attended this event since it has broadened my knowledge about the intricate realm of global film production, the distribution industry and the variance of attitudes towards the film industry cross-culturally.”

All films are free and open to the University and local community. Showings will be held in Minor Hall, Room 125 Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. The next screening will be Feb. 4 and will feature “Choking Man.”