Women’s basketball bounces Boston College, 68-56

Cavaliers rain 3-pointers in 10th home win of season

<p>Junior guard Faith Randolph led Virginia with 23 points in the win. </p>

Junior guard Faith Randolph led Virginia with 23 points in the win.

After seizing the lead with 2:34 to play in the first half, the Virginia women’s basketball team never again fell behind in a 68-56 victory against Boston College Thursday night at John Paul Jones Arena.

“I’m just happy to get a home win,” coach Joanne Boyle said. “We’ve been working on some things the last two days, ... so I know our girls got some confidence there. I thought our press did a really good job of taking them out of their stuff and we just moved the ball better offensively. For the most part, other than that last three [or] four minutes of the game, I think the girls did a really good job.”

Boston College (8-9, 0-4 ACC) came to Charlottesville leading the ACC in 3-pointers per game, but in the first half, the Cavaliers (13-4, 3-1 ACC) beat the Eagles at their own game. Virginia hit only three of 17 shots from the inside arc but went 10-16 from beyond it — sending the team into halftime with a lead, 38-33.

“We were just working on trying to attack the zone and kick out for open shots,” junior guard Faith Randolph said. “They were really guarding us on the 2-point line, and our coaches have been saying that you just got to be confident in your shot and shoot it.”

The Eagles average 8.5 threes per game, but only made two on seven attempts in the first half, with one missing the net completely and another hitting the shot clock. Yet the Eagles drove to the basket time after time and led the Cavaliers for the first 17 minutes of the game.

Boston College made 13 of 27 shots in the first half — nine of the 13 makes were layups, some caused by some early steals and Virginia turnovers. The Eagles also blocked six of Virginia’s shots before a 3-pointer by Randolph gave the Cavaliers their first lead of the game at 31-29. Randolph finished the game with a team-high 23 points.

“We talked about guarding the ball — it’s a weakness of ours,” Boyle said. “We have some people who can guard it, but not everybody. They just have such good ball movement and that was a key for us. We did give up too many off-the bounce scores, but it was significant that we were able to take that three away.”

The second half brought more of the same as Boston College continued to sink the easy buckets, making eight of its 10 shots on layups and only one 3-pointer on eight attempts. The Eagles finished with 36 points in the paint to Virginia’s 14.

The Cavaliers cooled from the 3-point line in the second half, making only three of 10 attempts, but also hit nine free throws after only attempting two in the opening stanza.

Boston College’s bench outscored Virginia’s 23-10, as senior forward Sarah Beth Barnette provided Virginia its only spark off the pine. Barnette scored eight points overall and went 2-3 from 3-point land in the first half.

“You never know when your number’s going to be called,” Boyle said. “[Barnette] played significant minutes for us. She was ready tonight and she was focused.”

Sophomore guard Kelly Hughes led the Eagles with 14 points and six rebounds.

Virginia plays No. 4 Louisville Sunday afternoon at KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.