Professor Brian Balogh receives award for mentorship

Students say Balogh is approachable, caring, helpful

<p>History Prof. Brian Balogh received the Nancy Lyman Roelker Mentorship Award. The award is one of the few given by the American History Association that honors exceptional teaching in the field of history</p>

History Prof. Brian Balogh received the Nancy Lyman Roelker Mentorship Award. The award is one of the few given by the American History Association that honors exceptional teaching in the field of history

History Prof. Brian Balogh received the Nancy Lyman Roelker Mentorship Award Oct. 5 for guiding a wide range of students through their academic careers.

The Roelker Mentorship Award is one of the few awards given by the American History Association that honors exceptional teaching in the field of history. It is given to educators who have taught and guided their students “in a way that changed their lives.”

“The one thing that I have learned about mentoring over the years is that every student is different,” Balogh said. “It is important to adapt my style to those differences.”

To receive the award, the nominee must demonstrate a belief in the study of history and a commitment to teaching it to students, honesty and integrity as a mentor and consistent, sustainable partnerships with students.

Balogh distinguished himself from other candidates by helping to “navigate the shoals of academics, historians and public advocates and supportive networks,” according to award information. He also founded the Miller Center fellowship program, which he currently chairs, and chairs the undergraduate History Distinguished Major Program.

Third-year College student Jesse Berman, a History major, said Balogh is one of “the most caring and helpful professors” he has had at the University.

“He is always willing to help with assignments and clearly puts his students extremely high on his list of priorities,” he said.

Balogh’s Miller Center program funds dissertations that aim to address American politics, foreign affairs and the impact of global affairs on the United States through the study of history. Balogh helps the fellows find an appropriate fellowship mentor who will advise them throughout the dissertation process.

“As far as mentoring, he's a great person to bounce ideas off of, because he gives great feedback even if he doesn't know a lot about the topic — and chances are he knows someone who does, and will point you in their direction,” third-year College student Aran Teeling said.

The association received almost 1,500 nominations for its 33 different different awards. The Roelker Award received about 14 nominations, said Dana Schaffer, the group’s associate director.

The association will present Balogh his award at the 130th annual meeting in Atlanta in January.

“I would like to thank the remarkably talented students — both graduate and undergraduate — that I have been able to teach over the years,” Balogh said.

Correction: This article previously incorrectly referred to Jesse Berman, a male, as "she."