Religious student groups create community, promote inclusivity

U.Va. includes more than 70 religious, spiritual student organizations

Unlike race or gender, the University does not release information about students’ religious affiliations.

There are, however, more than 70 religious and spiritual organizations at the University designed to target different faiths present on Grounds.

Cru, the Campus Crusade for Christ chapter at the University, is one such organization. Cru’s co-president, fourth-year Nursing student Nicole Ward, said she thinks the student-body on Grounds is religiously diverse and inclusive, but she joined a religiously-affiliated organization to become part of one of the many smaller communities at the University.

“I personally grew up in a Christian home and, coming to U.Va., I wanted to find the community that encouraged me in my faith,” Ward said. “I ultimately chose Cru because It was a smaller community — everyone knew each other there and I didn’t feel like I was getting lost.”

The majority of the religious organizations on Grounds are Christian, including several fraternities and sororities as well as fellowships and clubs. Darden Business School and the University Law School also both have several Christian organizations available for students.

Ward said the major concern she has is not feeling excluded or targeted as a Christian, but that other students feel unwelcome by the Christian community at the University.

“It’s disappointing to me when people feel outcast by the Christian community, and I wish that would change,” Ward said.

Cru acknowledges such a gap between religious Christian students and non-religious students and strives to promote as inclusive a community as possible, Ward said. Members need not be Christian to join or attend events.

Fourth-year College student Dhara Patel, the Hindu Students Council chapter coordinator, said she believes the most valuable part of a religious club is its inclusive community.

“Having events that aren’t exclusive allows us to branch out,” Patel said. “You meet more people who are willing to experience new things — new cultures and religions. It makes me more willing to branch out and experience new things as well.”

Like Cru, the Hindu Student Council promotes the involvement and participation of all students, regardless of religious affiliation. Patel said she believes religious groups simply allow students to embrace their faith with a system of close support, while also remaining open to others.

“It’s great that we have this organization to help you stay in touch with your religion, to know that you can be active and religious and study here too,” Patel said. “But you can also invite your friends and just check out an event. Anyone can come.”