​YAHNIAN: Bring free Uber rides to Grounds

The University should integrate the service into its safety programs

Students at the University drink. Shocker, I know. While the administration has correctly focused not on abstinence-only policies but rather on making sure students who choose to partake do so in a safe manner, students still lack all the safety resources the University should provide. Following the recent strategies of the University of Florida and the University of North Carolina, the University should sponsor free Uber rides for students during peak activity hours to provide a convenient, quick and safe alternative to driving or walking home intoxicated.

Supplementing their existing safety programs, some universities have taken interesting approaches to college drinking. At UNC, the school has implemented a new Uber program which will allow any student with a school email to receive a free Uber ride every Thursday through Saturday from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. After students discussed the possibility of sponsoring Uber rides, an anonymous donor and support from the Panhellenic, Interfraternity and Security Councils provided the funding for the initiative. Using Uber’s mobile app, students have begun a testing phase of the program this month to determine the logistics and costs. Vowing short waiting times, UNC “will combat the surge in usage with more drivers in the area.” UNC’s model follows similar programs at universities across the country, such as the University of Florida, which has a similar initiative that provides Uber rides at 50 percent off.

According to the latest email from Gabe Gates, assistant vice president for CLERY compliance, the University offers several programs targeted toward providing students a safe way home. With Safe Ride students can call during specified nighttime hours, and a van driven by off-duty police officers will take them home. In addition, the University has recently added a number of safety initiatives, including implementing an Ambassadors Program (those green shirt guys on the Corner) and installing a new public safety substation. Students also have the option to pay for Yellow Cabs with Cavalier Advantage or use the UTS bus service. While the University has increased its funding for student safety initiatives, the current system can and should be improved.

While Safe Ride is truly a safe and effective way for students to get home, there are some potential problems. With a limited numbers of vans, Safe Ride just doesn’t have the resources to meet the needs from our large student body. Furthermore, Safe Ride requires students to call an operator and specify a general location which can frequently be inefficient or require long waiting times. Also, students are clearly reluctant to accept the stigma of calling a van of police officers — even if they’re off duty — when they have chosen to drink. With the Ambassadors Program, albeit in its early stages, there is currently no mechanism for students to contact ambassadors other than in person. With UTS, the buses end relatively early and only follow predetermined routes limiting student flexibility. Finding Yellow Cabs can be slow, difficult and, crucially, the cabs still cost money.

With a University program sponsoring free Uber rides, the administration would eliminate the financial barrier between students and a safe, quick and effective ride home. Removing the cost of an Uber ride will present a viable alternative for students considering driving under the influence or walking long distances at night. Uber has a college-friendly mobile application allowing users to drop a pin at any location and follow the car’s path as it arrives while giving detailed information on the driver’s ratings and car model. Despite the University not currently meeting its obligation to provide safety programs for all students, backing an Uber ride program would plug some holes in its existing services.

On the opposition side, some students might consider the program redundant or view Uber as untrustworthy. However, with such a large student population, the University has an obligation to provide safe transportation for all its students. Uber’s vast size, low costs and reputation allow it to be a viable partner. Other students might point out potential adverse effects of a free Uber ride program by making it easier for students to get rip-roaringly drunk. However, the effects would be nil to minimal as students who choose to drink likely do so regardless of whether they have a ride home. On the funding side, cost data is not conclusive. With UNC’s anonymous donor sponsoring a part of the program, I call on alumni who want to have a significant effect on the safety of the University community to consider helping out. In lieu of additional University funding, reallocation of existing funds should also be considered. A free Uber program would have a more directly positive effect on providing students with a safe way home than ambassadors do standing around on the Corner.

There is no debate that some college students drink. Guaranteeing them a safe way home — well, that’s under consideration.

Ben Yahnian is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at b.yahnian@cavalierdaily.com.