Students accidentally sent financial literacy survey alongside required sexual assault module

97.5 percent of students completed required modules on time

<p>University Deputy Spokesman Matthew Charles said the University did not ask the vendor to send a financial literacy module to students.</p>

University Deputy Spokesman Matthew Charles said the University did not ask the vendor to send a financial literacy module to students.

University students have been asked to participate in up to three online modules this year as part of an alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct prevention program. However, the model on financial literacy was sent to some students by mistake.

The University partnered with EverFi, a company which makes online modules targeted to both children and adults.

Associate Dean of Students Laurie Casteen said 97.5 percent of students completed the Alcohol Wise module on safe alcohol use and Not on Our Grounds module on sexual assault.

Students who did not complete both modules could not use their NetBadge to access websites such as SIS and Collab. NetBadge access was restored once the student successfully completed the modules, according to emails from Dean of Students Allen Groves.

Students received Part II of both modules several weeks after completing Part I. While completing Part II is highly encouraged, it is not mandatory.

This year, some students were also asked to participate in EverFi’s financial literacy module following completion of Part II of the Not on Our Grounds module. The module, designed to teach students to successfully manage their money while in college, was not intended as one of the required modules but was sent by mistake.

“Students should not have been asked to complete this module,” Charles wrote in an email statement. “The University is awaiting clarification from the vendor as to why students were asked to participate.”

Fourth-year College Jennifer Keltz said students are often taught these lessons through other organizations on Grounds.

“I’ve gone through so many types of training between RA-ing and being a student here that I didn’t find it helpful simply because I’ve heard it all before,” Keltz said. “That being said, the information is useful and people need to hear it.”

Farheena Mustafa, a fourth-year in the College, said she has not taken Part II of the modules because she has not had the time.

“Aesthetically, [the module] was pleasing to the eye,” Mustafa said. “In terms of content, I wasn’t taking it very seriously.”