Rotunda exterior to be open for graduation this spring

Class of 2016 will be able to continue tradition of commencing down steps, onto Lawn

<p>The graduating class of 2016 will be able to walk around on the terraces of the Rotunda, Hogg said.</p>

The graduating class of 2016 will be able to walk around on the terraces of the Rotunda, Hogg said.

The Rotunda will be partially open for Final Exercises this spring, according to an announcement from the University’s office of major events.

Despite ongoing construction on the Rotunda, it will be possible for this year’s graduates to proceed down the steps of the Rotunda and onto the Lawn, a longstanding tradition at the University.

Similar to last year’s Final Exercises, there will be two graduation ceremonies held, said Cecil Banks, Jr., associate director of major events.

The College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will graduate May 21, and all other schools will graduate May 22.

“We are working closely with U.Va. Facilities Management to monitor the construction process, and are currently anticipating that graduates will walk down the Rotunda stairs for the Academic Procession, and continue down the Lawn to seating on the South Lawn near Old Cabell Hall,” Banks said in an email statement. “Degree candidates will each receive six guest seating tickets for Final Exercises on the Lawn.”

However, only the exterior of the Rotunda will be open for Final Exercises.

“We are anticipating that the Rotunda construction will be nearing completion,” Banks said. “The exterior work around the Rotunda will be mostly complete (pending unforeseen setbacks — weather, construction findings, etc.) — however, the interior of the Rotunda will not be open for Final Exercises 2016. The capitals will be visible, and scaffolding will be at a minimum (if any).”

More specifically, the graduating class will be able to walk around on the terraces of the Rotunda, Senior Historic Preservation Planner Brian Hogg said.

“Work on the Rotunda will be mostly, but not entirely, complete,” Hogg said in an email statement. “The exterior will be cleaned up and available for the graduating class to gather on the north side of the building, process around it on the terraces, and descend to the Lawn.”

Construction on the interior is projected to continue until mid-summer, and the Rotunda is expected to open for classes next fall.

Students should expect to see many new changes to the Rotunda, including new capitals, new gardens, and new classrooms and student study areas, Hogg said.

Both Hogg and Banks said Final Exercises in 2017 will not be affected by the construction.