Behind the University Board of Elections

Getting involved with student government on the other side of the ballot

<p>Some attribute the low voter turnout to disconnection with the election and candidates.&nbsp;</p>

Some attribute the low voter turnout to disconnection with the election and candidates. 

While most students are aware of the annual University-wide student elections, many do not know of the work done by the University Board of Elections in its effort to maintain fair and equal elections.

Established in 2003, UBE seeks to “further the aims of student self-governance within a community of trust and honor,” according to their website. The organization accomplishes this goal each year in supervising student elections.

“I don't think many people have any idea what UBE does,” Vice Chair and third-year College student Samantha Magnes said. “We put in a ton of work behind the scenes that no one ever sees.”

UBE consists of a small group of students who supervise and manage all student-wide elections, including elections for organizations such as Student Council, Honor Committee and the University Judiciary Committee.

“We are in charge of setting the calendar, informing students of the election process, marketing elections and making sure everything is correctly set up on the election website,” Magnes said.

The membership process to join UBE includes an online application and is open to all University students.

“Once you fill out the online application, the outgoing chairs of the representative bodies that we run elections for — Student Council President, UJC, Honor and [the like] — all read the applications and then you are notified if you get [the position],” UBE Chair and third-year College student Sara Kropp said.

UBE recently underwent major structural changes to the rules and regulations in order to clarify its role in the election process.

“Our rules and regulations hadn’t been touched since around 2008 and were formed in 2003 [at UBE’s foundation], so they were really out of date,” Kropp said.

UBE has been working especially hard this semester, meeting almost every day, to improve the election process, Kropp said.

“I have been so impressed by how everyone on our board has held themselves throughout this year, working tirelessly to improve the entire election process and ensure fair and equal elections,” Magnes said. “This year we have made some significant changes to the rules and regulations so that they are clearer and we have a greater ability to enforce violations.”

In the 2015 election season only 20 percent of University students voted, a number UBE is hoping to increase this year. This month specifically, the organization has encouraged the University community to vote in this year’s election through social media posts and flyers.

“The goal of the UBE is to ensure fair and equal elections,” Magnes said. “Our first priority is to make sure we communicate effectively and that candidates know the rules and deadlines.”

Ultimately, UBE has focused this year on not only improving the rules and regulations of the election process, but also on marketing these elections with the goal of increasing voter turnout.

“I found it odd a school that prides itself on student self-governance would be so completely removed from elections,” Magnes said. “I decided to get involved because I think we need to re-emphasize how important it is to have a say in choosing our leaders.”