Weekend Previews: Feb. 12-14

"The Skinny" on weekend action for indoor track and field, wrestling, women's golf

<p>Senior&nbsp;Peyton Chaney has been impressive for the Cavaliers throughout the season, and will look to make her mark at the Fastrack National Qualifier.</p>

Senior Peyton Chaney has been impressive for the Cavaliers throughout the season, and will look to make her mark at the Fastrack National Qualifier.

Indoor Track and Field

What: Fastrack National Qualifier Invite

Where: Staten Island, N.Y.

When: Friday, 1 p.m.

The Skinny: After producing two winners in Blacksburg last week at the Doc Hale

Elite Meet, the Virginia men’s and women’s track and field teams will travel to Staten

Island, N.Y., Friday to participate in the Fastrack National Qualifier Invite, a meet hosted by

Wagner College.

For the Cavalier women, senior Peyton Chaney, who has been one of the most consistent

runners on the team, will look to continue her success. Meanwhile, the Virginia men,

who are currently the No. 18 team in the nation, will try to continue their top-25 stint under

sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro, who saw recent success by winning the shot put

last week.

As this is one of the last tournaments before the ACC Championships in Boston,

Mass., count on the Cavaliers to perform well so they can head into the postseason with

momentum.

—compiled by Ben Tobin

Wrestling

What: No. 19 Virginia vs. Chattanooga

Where: Memorial Gym

When: Sunday, 1 p.m.

The Skinny: The No. 19 Virginia wrestling team will face non-conference foe Chattanooga for a Valentine’s Day competition at home Sunday, Feb. 14. The Cavaliers (6-5, 1-3 ACC) are looking for another dual win to bolster their record before heading into postseason competition in just a couple short weeks.

Virginia and Chattanooga last met in the 2013-14 season during the Virginia Duals, with Virginia coming out victorious with a score of 18-13.

The Mocs (10-4, 5-1 SoCon) have an impressive record in the Southern Conference, and were previously ranked in the top 25 nationally before a loss to Appalachian State last week.

Chattanooga’s roster features one nationally-ranked wrestler with No. 11 junior Jared Johnson in the 285 pound weight class. Johnson will challenge Virginia senior Pat Gillen, who is on a roll after winning back-to-back matches against ACC opponents last weekend.

The Cavaliers split last weekend, defeating Duke, and dropping a close match to No. 13 North Carolina, falling one spot in the polls. They will be hoping for a solid win against a non-conference opponent going into the home stretch of the season.

Sunday’s match marks the last home regular season competition for the Cavaliers. Virginia will be honoring seven wrestlers in their senior day ceremonies prior to the event.

—compiled by Mariel Messier

Women’s Golf

What: Florida State Matchup Tournament

Where: Tallahassee, Fla.

When: Feb. 12-14

The Virginia women’s golf team kicks off their spring season this weekend when they travel to Tallahassee, Fla. for the Florida State Matchup.

The Cavaliers will take on South Carolina in the first round of the 12-team matchup, a tournament that features three teams in the top 20 in the nation, including Virginia, who holds the 20th national seed.

Virginia finished its fall season in late October at the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, N.C. with a 12th place team finish. Golfweek most recently ranked Virginia as the 21st best program in the nation in their annual midseason report published in December.

Virginia will depend on leadership from senior Lauren Coughlin to jumpstart its spring season. Coughlin exhibited strong play in the fall and led the team with two top-four individual finishes.

The tournament’s structure will feature the 12 teams teeing off in twosomes for the first two rounds, which will then be followed by a final round shotgun in threesomes. The winner of the matchups is determined by taking the best four scores from the partners and adding it to the team’s worst matchup score.

Besides South Carolina, the competition for the weekend includes Florida State, Texas A&M, Furman, Tennessee, Missouri, Coastal Carolina, Kansas State, SMU, Virginia Tech and James Madison. Furman is the reigning team champion of the tournament.

—compiled by Grayson Kemper