Madeleine Albright to receive U.Va.'s inaugural global leadership award

Prize awarded in honor of 70th anniversary of United Nations

<p>Albright also served in former President Bill Clinton’s administration until 2001 and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in May 2012.</p>

Albright also served in former President Bill Clinton’s administration until 2001 and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in May 2012.

Madeleine Albright, former secretary of state and U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, will be the first recipient of the Edward R. Stettinius Prize for Global Leadership. Albright was selected by the constituents of the Presidential Precinct, of which the University and Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello are members.

When Albright was confirmed for her position as the 64th U.S. secretary of state, not only was she the first woman to serve in the position, but she also became the highest-ranking woman in the history of the U.S. government. She also served in former President Bill Clinton’s administration until 2001 and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in May 2012.

"We are delighted and honored to present this inaugural Stettinius Prize to a global leader of Madeleine Albright’s stature,” University President Teresa Sullivan said in a statement. “The creation of this new award is another manifestation of U.Va.’s steadfast commitment to global engagement.”

The prize’s namesake, Edward Reilly Stettinius, Jr., a former University student, served as secretary of state under Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman. Stettinius did not receive a degree from the University, though he was a member of the Seven Society. He is known for supervising the Lend-Lease Act and helping found the United Nations.

“The country and the world still benefit from his vision and effective leadership, and it has been a privilege to serve in the same positions he once held,” Albright said in a statement.

The prize, which was created in October, will be granted by the Presidential Precinct, a consortium comprised of two Virginia universities and four historic sites. The University, the College of William & Mary, Monticello, Montpelier, Ash Lawn-Highland and William Short’s Morven are all members of the organization.

“The Edward R. Stettinius Jr. Prize for Global Leadership recognizes a person whose life and work reflect the principles of America’s first secretary of state and founder of the University, Thomas Jefferson, as well as Edward Stettinius, who followed in Jefferson’s footsteps,” Sullivan said.

The Stettinius Prize will be presented to Albright at the Boar’s Head Inn in conjunction with the Global Leadership Forum at the University. This event, scheduled for March 29 and 30, will be sponsored by the Presidential Precinct and the U.S. State Department; the prize will be awarded in celebration of the 70th anniversary of the United Nations.