U.Va. critical care unit receives new facilities

Pegasus Air team moves to new hangar, helipad

Night View of Hospital
Night View of Hospital

The University Health System’s Pegasus Air Team recently moved into new facilities, which include a new helipad and hangar.

The Pegasus program has been part of the University Health System since 1984, when it was founded to provide faster responses and safe transport for patients in critical condition.

The Pegasus Air team operates from a helicopter and services an area with a radius of 120 nautical miles from the University Medical Center. Eric Swensen, public information officer for the University Health System, said the Air Team works to safely and quickly transport critically ill or injured patients from hospitals or accident sites to the University Medical Center.

The team recently relocated from one end of the Charlottesville-Albemarle airport to a new facility at the other end. They will now operate out of a new hangar, a larger office space and a separate helipad. The building has been part of the airport for several years but was previously occupied by a service center and a fire and rescue agency.

“These facilities offer a more functional workspace for operations, training, readiness, administration and logistical operations,” Swensen said.

The new hangar has better heating and lighting, allowing for more efficient operations, Swensen said. The hangar doors also close more easily to prevent any damage or interference from snow or rain.

The new helipad and offices also allow for smoother operations, Swensen said. The larger office space provides the crew with additional space for training exercises.

“The separate helipad also makes it easier at takeoff time, when our crews don’t have to be concerned about surrounding traffic and aircraft,” Swensen said.

The Pegasus program also includes a ground team which utilizes an ambulance specially designed for the transport of patients in critical condition. Each Pegasus crew consists of a driver or pilot, a critical care paramedic and a registered nurse.