C’Ville eats: recommendations from Kenneth Elzinga and Emily Lodge

Fellow Hoos weigh in on their personal favorite dishes on and around Grounds

<p>Although Lodge has limited free time to try new eateries around Charlottesville, she has still managed to explore a few different restaurants with her friends.</p>

Although Lodge has limited free time to try new eateries around Charlottesville, she has still managed to explore a few different restaurants with her friends.

Kenneth Elzinga is the Robert C. Taylor Professor of Economics at the University. His research interests include antitrust economics, and religion and economics, according to the University of Virginia website. Although he does not consider himself a foodie, he still likes to eat out in the Charlottesville area. Elzinga’s favorite place to eat outdoors is the dock of his summer home at Lake Monticello.

1. Aberdeen Barn

“A restaurant that’s special for me to take students as guests is a long-time Charlottesville eatery,” Elzinga said. “[It] is neither downtown nor on the Corner.”

2. Dragon Lady Restaurant

Even though this Chinese restaurant is now permanently closed, Elzinga has eaten there with his students over the years.

“I have very fond memories of a restaurant called The Dragon Lady. I've literally had chicken and broccoli there over a hundred times,” Elzinga said. “[I] have dined there with hundreds of students over the years. It has become Moe's and is next to Foods of All Nations.”

Emily Lodge, a third-year Batten student, is the newly-elected Student Council President. She is also involved with the service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega and the University Guide Service. Although she has limited free time to try new eateries around Charlottesville, she has still managed to explore a few different restaurants with her friends. This spring, she is looking to try eating at several new places, including YUM YUM Xpress and Roots.

1. Littlejohn’s Deli

“I don’t have a go-to sandwich there, but I kind of mix it up with whatever I’m feeling. Sometimes I ask the people behind the counter for their recommendations, and they all have a different favorite kind of sandwich,” Lodge said. “I like to have meetings there sometimes with people because it’s a fun atmosphere, but also not so loud that you can’t hear the person that you’re talking to. It’s really good food that’s at a decent price point.”

2. Take It Away and Chipotle

“To be honest, most of my lunches are in [the PAC], because I try to meet with groups around my lunchtime. On the weekends, though, I like Take It Away. They have very limited seating outside, but if you’re able to grab a table, that’s really great,” Lodge said. “Chipotle is another great place where it’s very fun to eat outside as well. I think those are my top two locations.”