ESC sponsors “Engineer’s Week”

E-Week events include “Pi-a-Professor," #HeforSWE photo booth

<p>The theme of this year’s E-Week was Taylor Swift, and events included paper airplane challenges, resume reviews and a trivia night.</p>

The theme of this year’s E-Week was Taylor Swift, and events included paper airplane challenges, resume reviews and a trivia night.

The Engineering Student Council hosted its annual “Engineer’s Week” March 14-18 to celebrate Engineering students by offering a variety of different interactive events, giveaways and free food on Grounds.

ESC Vice President Naveed Tavakol, a third-year Engineering student, said E-Week is a way for students to destress and socialize with one another and faculty in the midst of the spring semester.

“Students learn a little more, have some fun or interact with other engineers and other collaborators at events,” Tavakol said.

In honor of Pi-Day Monday, ESC handed out free pie to students and hosted “Pi-a-Professor” in the Darden Courtyard for students to socialize and interact with professors in a relaxed and fun setting.

“We really wanted to incentivize professors to come out more and to personalize interactions with faculty,” Tavakol said. “Honestly, I was pretty happy with how it turned out.”

The overall feedback for E-Week as a whole has been positive, Tavakol said. More than 200 students attended the Pi-Day events alone, making the turnout better than that of last year’s E-Week.

Scott Bergstresser, third-year Engineering student and ESC co-director of the Marketing and Advertising Committee, said the ESC used a system of E-points to try and encourage students to come to these events.

“We have cards printed out that are essentially loyalty cards and they’ve got boxes that you can check off,” Bergstresser said. “Each time we have an event that we decide is an E-point event, we’ll stamp their cards.”

Students can redeem their E-points during the week to get free prizes from the ESC, such as cups and sweatshirts, Bergstresser said.

The ESC partnered with other Engineering organizations on Grounds to co-host some events during the week, such as the #HeforSWE photo booth event, where they partnered with the Society of Women Engineers.

Third-year Engineering student Shruti Mhasawade, who helped to coordinate and run the photo booth, said the event was designed to encourage and include male engineers in fighting the stigma placed on female engineers.

“If you’re a woman engineer, people shouldn’t be surprised,” Mhasawade said. “This is just to normalize women in engineering and that can be done only if they form a camaraderie with men in engineering.”

Fourth-year Engineering student Lara Sisman attended some of the events and said she is proud to an engineer and believes E-Week is a great to bring the Engineering school community together.

Engineers are an integral part of our society and should be celebrated, Sisman said.

The week will culminate in a “Party like it’s 1989!” mixer at The Biltmore Friday.