“Girls” goes to Japan in another strong episode

Series shows a different side of several characters in season’s third installment

<p>The latest episode of "Girls" shows potentially stunning character development.</p>

The latest episode of "Girls" shows potentially stunning character development.

This week, in the third episode of season five, “Girls” headed east in “Japan.” After her absence in last week’s episode, Shoshanna (Zosia Mamet) is the focus of this week’s installment.

Shoshanna’s move to Japan is the second time “Girls” has relocated one of its main characters to an unfamiliar environment. In season four, Hannah (Lena Dunham) moves to Iowa after being accepted to graduate school to pursue a career in writing. Hannah is unable to acclimate to her new environment and is forced to return to Brooklyn. Shoshanna, however, is much more successful in her relocation. She flourishes in Japan and learns the language, makes friends and succeeds at work.

The episode’s beautiful opening sequence, following Shoshanna as she goes through her morning routine, shows just how comfortable she is living in Japan. Seeing Shoshanna fit in so well is heartwarming, but it all comes crashing down when she is fired from her new job there.

However, she is empowered to remain in Japan, which leaves her character’s storyline open-ended for the rest of the season. Without a job and missing her long distance boyfriend, it will be interesting to see where this season takes Shoshanna.

Shoshanna’s story is intertwined with moments of tension between Jessa (Jemima Kirke) and Adam (Adam Driver). Their halfway relationship takes two steps back, but Jessa’s attempt to be a good person has lasted at least one episode now, perhaps proving she truly can make a change.

Though the episode is strong, it could benefit from focusing solely on Shoshanna. Her time in Japan is more interesting and fresher than rehashing the same “will-they-won’t-they” — as said in the episode — story with Adam and Jessa. Giving Shoshanna more screen time would allow for deeper exploration of her character, which is becoming increasingly complex as the series continues.

Though perhaps not quite as strong as its precursors this season, “Japan” was a welcome foray into Shoshanna’s life. Her character is one of the series’ most likeable — exploring it further can only benefit “Girls.”