Jefferson Trust gives grants to 18 organizations

Experiential Career Development, Jefferson Society Archives Project to receive money

The Jefferson Trust announced Thursday it would be giving out 18 grants to support various projects at the University.

The Jefferson Trust, an endowment that allocates funds annually through a University-wide grant program, awarded over $775,000 of grant money in a ceremony Friday.

A $50,000 grant will go toward Experiential Career Development at the University Career Center. The center is planning to start a professional development course for second- and third-year students that helps them obtain internships and implements one-on-one alumni mentoring.

A $60,000 grant for Developing Leadership in 3-D Bio-Printing will deliver research funds for the Department of Biomedical Engineering’s 3-D bio-printers. The grant money will be used for research projects as well as providing University students with experiential training in 3-D printing.

The Jefferson Society Archives Project proposal was awarded $33,615. The Jefferson Society, one of the University’s literary and debating organizations, has over 32,500 archival items that are currently unusable.

The Archives Project will hire students to organize the collection and collect metadata to create an inclusive archive. They will produce high-resolution images for 5,000 items in the collection using resources at the Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library. The project also plans to launch a website to provide for storage and accessibility to the images.

Additional grants were awarded to Curry Teacher Education, Cavalier Outdoor Adventure Retreats for incoming students and the “Medical Innovation and Human-Centered Design” Program.

The Jefferson Trust was founded in 2006 and is sponsored by the University Alumni Association. The mission of the trust is to pursue excellence across the University by supporting initiatives that enhance teaching, scholarship and research; allow faculty and students to work closely together while engaging in hands-on learning; and allow the University community to make an impact on other communities worldwide, according to a University press release.

Since its inception 10 years ago, the Jefferson Trust has allocated over $5.5 million to 141 initiatives across a broad range of schools and disciplines.