U.Va. plans GivingToHoosDay

Organizers hope 24 hour fundraiser will build community, encourage philanthropic change

The University is set to host its 24-hour online fundraising event “GivingToHoosDay” Tuesday, April 12 — the day before Founder’s Day.

Patrick Stanley, manager of digital strategy at the Office of Engagement and University Annual Giving, said GivingToHoosDay is an effort to raise money for the University and University projects by promoting a sense of community and change among students, alumni and other potential donors.

“It lets us promote people getting involved in philanthropy and promote a feeling of giving back,” Stanley said. “There is never a feeling of my part doesn't make a difference.”

Throughout the day, hourly challenges are set up to encourage donations and involvement by community members, Stanley said. There are also two other challenges: the Dollars Challenge and the Gifts Challenge.

For both the Dollars Challenge and the Gifts Challenge, schools at the University can earn a share of a pot of $40,000 based on their percentage of the total dollars raised or the number of gifts they raise, respectively.

“I think it’s really set up for a lot of success. Our big focus is trying to tell the stories of people here at the University who are trying to make a difference,” Stanley said. “We want to highlight the work people are doing here.”

On the GivingToHoosDay website, the Office of Annual Giving highlights several community projects by University students and faculty, which potential donors can look at to understand how their donations might be utilized on Grounds.

Darden Prof. Gregory Fairchild is one such example — he leads a project with Darden students and local alumni to educate local inmates at a women’s prison, men’s prison and juvenile detention center. Members of the program teach entrepreneurial skills, including the basics of financial literacy, resume building and interview skills.

“Let’s take a day to think about how when we give to the University, we give to these people because the work that we do impacts the world that we live in, whether locally or globally,” Fairchild said.

GivingToHoosDay is in part about encouraging others to be involved in change right now, Fairchild said.

“U.Va. people are people that want to make change,” Fairchild said. “The interesting thing is that we often think when you go to school now you have to wait until late in your life to make that change.”

Fairchild said GivingToHoosDay is an important way to showcase the talents and opportunities at the University.

“I think the more opportunities we create like this — creative opportunities — the more U.Va. is a special place,” Fairchild said. “It’s more than our buildings, it’s more than what even happens in our classrooms — it’s the way we change the world.”

Stanley said the University has no particular fundraising goal it is trying to achieve during the 24-hour event and said the goal is to build a sense of community and philanthropic change.

If all alumni or other community members can do is share the hashtag #GivingToHoosDay online, then that’s still a successful way to support the University, Stanley said.

“I think any way people can get involved is great,” Stanley said. “You’re making a gift to an area you know does great work, and you can see it in action. That is our goal.”