YAHNIAN: Equal pay for equal play

The treatment of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team is an egregious example of pay discrimination

In 2015, the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team sounded their return to the champion’s throne with a resounding World Cup victory. That said, their outstanding work on the international stage was greeted with markedly less than outstanding pay. While last year the women’s team earned $20 million more in revenue than the men’s team, demolished the previous record of U.S. viewership for a nationally televised soccer match and achieved victory on one of the biggest stages in sports, the women still found themselves paid a mere quarter of what the men earn. That’s unacceptable.

When five members of the team including Alex Morgan, Carli Lloyd and Hope Solo filed a lawsuit alleging wage discrimination by the U.S. Soccer Federation, it sent an unambiguous signal to fellow citizens, aspiring girls and boys, that equal pay for equal work is a fundamental right, not just a nice political catchphrase. As Carli Lloyd put it in a recent editorial for The New York Times, “We are not backing down anymore. …This isn’t about a money grab. ... It’s about treating people the way they deserve to be treated, no matter their gender.”

It’s no secret that the women’s national team is a cultural and financial juggernaut. Just go to any bar during a women’s world cup match and the nationalistic pride and inspiration generated by the team becomes incredibly clear. With Americans donning red, white and blue while chanting for victory, the women’s team not only displays to our young people the fruits of hard work but also represents the country internationally through its inspiring message.

Yet, their domination of the competition extends far beyond the field to the financial realm. Last year, the soccer team generated $17.7 million in profit for the federation. When the team cited the large wage disparity between the men’s and women’s teams along with sharply increasing revenue numbers, how did U.S. Soccer respond? The federation refuted these claims and repeatedly mentioned how it had helped women’s soccer over the years achieve so much including full-time salaries for players and health benefits. Implicated in the subtext of their response, U.S. Soccer condescendingly insinuated, “Why are you complaining now when we have given you so much?” It’s true that rights for women in sports have drastically improved over the last 40 years, but correcting past injustices does not excuse them from correcting currents ones. Naturally, the women used the tools at their disposal by filing a lawsuit with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

The numbers behind the gap certainly are staggering. While the men’s team went 1-2-1 in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, earning itself a nice paycheck of $9 million, the women’s team won the entire thing in Canada just a year later yet only received a team total of $2 million. With the men’s World Cup an undeniably bigger international affair, it’s understood that U.S. soccer might conceivably generate more profit from the men’s team and thus cut them a larger check. However, in 2017, U.S. Soccer itself has projected the men’s team to lose almost $1 million while the women’s team is predicted to make a profit of over $5 million. When the federation retorts that it is “disappointed” by the players’ legal action, I can’t help but be disappointed in their response. Overall, the discrimination is more than just lower pay structures, smaller World Cup bonuses and reduced sponsor appearance compensation; it extends to player’s everyday lives. Female players receive a $50 per diem for food during domestic matches while the men are given $62.50.

However, the team has made it a priority to clarify their dispute is not at all with the male team but rather the federation, which is responsible for paying national players. In fact, the men’s team has been overwhelmingly supportive with vocal proponents such as goalkeeper Tim Howard endorsing their fight. As Carli Lloyd further notes, “despite U.S. Soccer’s financials [confirming] that we are the driving force that generates a majority of the revenue for the federation. ... U.S. Soccer has told us, on more than one occasion, that our proposal was not rational.” What’s more rational? Doing nothing in the face of clear wage discrimination or acting as a true champion for boys and girls all across the country by fighting for fairness? The women’s national team has demonstrated excellence both on and off the field. It’s time our national soccer teams have equal pay for equal play.

Ben Yahnian is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at b.yahnian@cavalierdaily.com.