"Finding Dory": A sequel for the next generation

13 years after "Finding Nemo," Disney Pixar releases an all-too-familar sequel

Disney Pixar’s newest film, "Finding Dory,” hit theaters June 17. The eagerly awaited sequel to "Finding Nemo" will entertain fans; however, the film has its shortcomings and should certainly be the last in the series.

"Finding Dory" focuses on Dory’s journey to find her parents while at the same time Nemo and Marlin are trying to find Dory.

Much like "Finding Nemo," the cast must journey across the ocean. However, "Finding Dory" condenses the ocean travel into about five minutes — the majority of the movie instead takes place in an aquarium, with pleasing results. The new setting feels fresh and interesting.

Along with a new setting, the movie features an entirely different cast of supporting characters. The new additions provide variety and comedy without distracting from the film’s dramatic storyline.

The movie does well to avoid any potential pitfalls presented by placing Dory in the lead role.

In "Finding Nemo," Dory was a fairly simple character primarily responsible for comic relief. The Dory in "Finding Dory" retains her endearing positive characteristics while also becoming a far more complex and interesting character. Much like other Disney Pixar movies, the character writing and animation are excellent, leading to believable, tear-jerking and enjoyable scenes for all age groups.

Despite its many strengths, "Finding Dory" is a sequel, which presents some problems. Serious moments become laughable because of their resemblance to “Finding Nemo.” In the original, tensions run high when the characters are taken aboard a boat or faced with the danger of a perilous journey to find a loved one. In “Finding Dory," similar scenes feel too familiar to manufacture such drama. Those who haven’t seen "Finding Nemo" may actually enjoy "Finding Dory" more, due to their lack of reference points to the original.

"Finding Dory" is difficult to describe. If it existed in a vacuum, it would be a great movie for all. To those who have seen the previous film, however, it will just be pretty good, and too similar to match the power of the original.