Of Montreal performs an electric set at The Jefferson

The intensely eccentric group again delivers a spectacle of a show

Athens, Ga., has a heavy-hitting lineup of bands to boast of from R.E.M. to the B-52’s. But one of the most unique bands is of Montreal, the glam-rock psychedelic brainchild of frontman Kevin Barnes.

The crown jewel of Athens’ music scene comes sparkling in glitter and dressed in a dazzling array of outfits including one-piece, skin-tight leather suits, masks and multi-bodied costumes. The band formed in 1996 but, expectedly, has experienced dramatic change over its 20 year run.

Kevin Barnes is the only consistent piece in the band. Over his 20-year stint as a musician, Barnes has put out 14 full-length studio albums and numerous other EPs. Despite being only one man, Barnes has managed to wear a variety of masks both on stage literally and in the studio. Though of Montreal never fits neatly into a category, the band has circled genres from indie-acoustic to rock to electronic pop.

Tuesday night at The Jefferson, of Montreal performed in its usual fashion, which was anything but a usual concert. Its shows feel more like a theatrical performance than a traditional concert — music is almost an afterthought.

Barnes, being a showman of cosmic proportions, is bizarre enough to supply any stage with electric eccentricity, but he has immense backup with the help of band members, giant projector screens and stunning lights to top off the display.

Barnes is known for his peculiar outfits — he changed clothes at least four times during the show. For example, he decorated himself in a white lace dress with thigh-high stockings, a Little Red Riding Hood costume, various wigs and — of course — he stripped down to his underwear to the screaming joy of the crowd below him.

The band backed Barnes in costumes that ranged from glowing fairies to giant opossums that rummaged around the stage. The projector screen on the back wall of the stage displayed everything from lyrics to satanic images to geometric design mysteries. The sheer variability of sound and visual effects are enough to capture the attention of any audience. The set list was decently balanced, the band reaching backwards in its discography yet still exploring new territory.

It is nearly impossible to describe an of Montreal show, but calling it a psychedelic inspired circus spectacle wouldn’t be a bad place to start. It is truly an experience, in part because it’s such a participatory affair. Fans will don equally peculiar and glittery outfits, and the stage’s dancers and band members will interact with the crowd through odd dance routines.

With a show of this caliber, of Montreal is a tough band to top, but respect must also be doled out to the opening act Ruby the RabbitFoot — also from Athens. And even though the group provides a youthful and fun vibe, the band possesses serious artistic talent. Self-described as “poet pop,” the group, very similar to of Montreal, offers compelling and personal lyricism under the guise of saccharine tunes.

Both bands released new albums in August of this year, and both promise to continue to deliver both hip-shaking and head-bobbing music alike.