​Field hockey holds on to beat William & Mary

<p>Junior midfielder Tara Vitesse gave the Cavaliers their 3-2 edge with her goal against William & Mary.&nbsp;</p>

Junior midfielder Tara Vitesse gave the Cavaliers their 3-2 edge with her goal against William & Mary. 

The No. 10 Virginia field hockey team beat William & Mary 3-2 Tuesday night to add on to their winning record. The Cavalier (9-5, 2-2 ACC) win followed a disappointing 3-2 overtime loss to No. 3 North Carolina, and is Virginia’s fifth win in six games. Prior to the successful stretch, the Cavaliers suffered the worst defeat of the season in an 8-0 loss to No. 1 Connecticut.

The contest against the Tribe (5-7, 2-1 CAA) was tied 0-0 at half. In the beginning of the second, Virginia scored the first goal of the night off of a corner. Freshman defender Dominique van Slooten finished off a pass from junior midfielder Nadine de Koning. It was van Slooten’s second goal of the season. William & Mary quickly responded, scoring off of a deflection to tie the game with more than 20 minutes remaining.

Three minutes later the Tribe took a 2-1 lead. The goals continued to flow as Virginia Senior striker Riley Tata scored less than a minute later, tying the game. Junior midfielder Tara Vittese scored Virginia’s game-winning goal off of a corner to give them a 3-2 lead.

The Cavaliers next play ACC foe No. 2 Syracuse Saturday at 1 p.m. at home in yet another top-10 matchup for Virginia.