“Doctor Strange” takes fresh look at superhero genre

Fantastic visuals, humor make new film worth a watch

<p>The plot of “Doctor Strange” is fairly standard for a superhero flick, but the movie stands out for its breathtaking visuals and humor.</p>

The plot of “Doctor Strange” is fairly standard for a superhero flick, but the movie stands out for its breathtaking visuals and humor.

Marvel’s latest superhero adventure, “Doctor Strange,” breaks the mold of superhero films and gives an exciting and humorous look inside a fantasy world.

The movie follows Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), a neurosurgeon who must stop his research after a car accident leaves nerve damage in his hands. When he goes to a temple in Nepal in search of an unconventional spiritual cure, he discovers the world of ancient magic and must battle against a dark, otherworldly being for the fate of the earth. If this sounds very similar to the plot of numerous other Marvel Productions, it is — the plot of “Doctor Strange” is fairly standard for a superhero flick, but the movie stands out for its breathtaking visuals and humor.

Dr. Strange’s journey takes him through multiple parallel dimensions, each more incredible than the last. The Mirror Dimension, where several action scenes take place, shows buildings twisting and turning at the characters’ directions, like a kaleidoscopic version of the real world. The element of fantasy and mysticism in “Doctor Strange” makes it exciting; the sequences feel almost dreamlike at times, with endless possibilities. This magical element of the movie also gives some flavor to action scenes, such as when the characters throw ancient spells and punches.

Along with its impressive visuals, the movie shows a refreshing willingness to make fun of itself. Unlike several recent superhero movies, which have often struggled with overt seriousness and action, “Doctor Strange” includes a surprising number of genuinely funny moments. The juxtaposition of the movie’s focus on ancient, mystical arts with the technology of the modern age led to some such moments. For example, when Dr. Strange arrives at an ancient temple, he is given a card with a word printed on it that he assumes is mysterious mantra, but learns that it is in fact the Wi-Fi password. The temple’s librarian, Wong (Benedict Wong), also provides plenty of comedic moments throughout the movie.

Cumberbatch performs well in the titular role — though in the beginning, Dr. Strange’s overconfidence comes across as arrogance. Tilda Swinton, as Dr. Strange’s mentor The Ancient One, acts well alongside him, humorously keeping his ego in check.

“Doctor Strange” is certainly Marvel’s best looking movie in recent memory, and offers an entertaining break from the serious action movies fans expect from superhero franchises. For fans of the genre, “Doctor Strange” is worth a watch.