Swimming and diving goes 4-0 in ACC showdowns

<p>Senior Leah Smith led the women's swimming and diving&nbsp;team in its 175-125 win over No. 22 Duke. The Rio medalist shattered three pool records.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Leah Smith led the women's swimming and diving team in its 175-125 win over No. 22 Duke. The Rio medalist shattered three pool records. 

The Virginia swimming and diving teams defeated Duke and North Carolina last weekend in their second and third meets since winter break. The Cavaliers’ results added to strong ACC performances this season.

The No. 13 Virginia men’s team (5-1, 3-0 ACC) defeated the Blue Devils (5-2, 0-2 ACC), 164-135, Friday, while the women’s team beat No. 22 Duke (5-2, 1-2 ACC) by a score of 175-125. Senior Leah Smith had another spectacular day — breaking three pool records — while senior Laura Simon swept the competition in all breaststroke events.

The Cavalier men’s team defeated North Carolina (1-4, 0-2 ACC) Saturday, 170-130, while the women’s team defeated the Tar Heels (1-4, 0-2 ACC), 173.5-121.5. The men’s side had not defeated North Carolina in four years.

The strong results are encouraging for Virginia as their schedule gets harder over the coming weeks. Next weekend, they head back to North Carolina to face NC State and two weeks later the ACC finals begin. The women’s team will compete to retain their league title in Atlanta, Ga. from Monday, Feb. 13 until Thursday, Feb. 16. The men’s team swims in their ACC finals from Monday, Feb. 27 until Thursday, March 2.

So far, the Cavaliers have enjoyed a successful season and will look to carry that success into the league championships and then the NCAA finals.

Virginia’s next meet is scheduled for 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 28 at NC State in Raleigh, N.C.