​Former U.Va. basketball player Austin Nichols declares for NBA Draft

<p>Junior transfer forward Austin Nichols was dismissed from Virginia Nov. 18 for failing to meet program standards.</p>

Junior transfer forward Austin Nichols was dismissed from Virginia Nov. 18 for failing to meet program standards.

According to Scout.com’s Evan Daniels, former Virginia junior transfer forward Austin Nichols is declaring for the NBA Draft and intends to sign with an agent.

Nichols told Scout that he will be signing with Aaron Turner, an agent with Versus Management Team. He has been training five to six days a week in order to prepare for the NBA Draft, which is held in June. He told Scout that he has been training at local gyms in Cleveland and Miami.

Nichols played just one game for Virginia before coach Tony Bennett dismissed him from the team in November for failing to meet team standards. After being suspended from two scrimmages and the season opener for a violation of team rules, Nichols appeared in a Nov. 15 game against St. Francis Brooklyn and led the Cavaliers in scoring with 11 points. Bennett dismissed the junior from the team Nov. 18.

The Collierville, Tenn. native transferred to Virginia after a two-year stint at Memphis. He earned All-AAC first team honors both years and the AAC rookie of the year title in his freshman year. As a sophomore at Memphis, Nichols averaged 13.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.4 blocks before sitting out the required year after transferring to Virginia.

Nichols’ announcement comes just a day after Bennett said on his radio show, “Coach’s Corner,” Monday night that there was no possibility of Nichols returning to play for Virginia.