​Swimming and diving enter final test of season

Virginia men’s and women’s teams begin NCAA meets

<p>The Cavalier’s women’s team &mdash; which currently sits in fifth place &mdash; continues its NCAA championship search tomorrow at the Indiana University Natatorium in Indianapolis, Ind.</p>

The Cavalier’s women’s team — which currently sits in fifth place — continues its NCAA championship search tomorrow at the Indiana University Natatorium in Indianapolis, Ind.

After a successful regular season, the Virginia men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams began its final meet of the season this week in Indianapolis, Ind. After the No. 8 women’s team placed second in their ACC championship meet, the No. 14 men’s team followed up the performance with a sixth-place finish at the ACC championship meet.

Although it is the first time in nine years since neither team has brought home the ACC title, both the women’s team (6-1, 4-1 ACC) and the men’s team (5-2, 4-1 ACC) qualified a high number of swimmers for the NCAA finals.

On the men’s side, five athletes qualified for the event, including senior Austin Quinn, sophomore Zach Fong and freshmen Joe Clark, Ted Schubert and John Whiteside.

All of the Cavaliers are making their debut in the national championship meet except for Fong, who appeared last year in the 200-yard butterfly.

On the women’s side, Virginia qualified eight swimmers for nationals including seniors Kaitlyn Jones, Laura Simon, Leah Smith and Ellen Thomas, juniors Caitlin Cooper and Jennifer Marrkand, sophomore Vivian Tafuto and freshman Morgan Hill.

The women’s team will look to continue its success as of late — last year the Cavaliers finished fifth in the nation at NCAAs, tying the school’s best performance ever.

The men’s finals take place next week, from March 22-25.

The Cavalier’s women’s team — which currently sits in fifth place — continues its NCAA championship search tomorrow at the Indiana University Natatorium in Indianapolis.