Young Thug plays it safe with new video, single

'Safe' marks surprise return of notorious hip-hop artists

<p>Thug has seen his potential for more commercial success.</p>

Thug has seen his potential for more commercial success.

With Future, Migos, Frank Ocean, Pouya and Young Thug all dropping fresh music within the past week, it is an exciting time to be a hip-hop fan. Among these releases, Young Thug dropped the single “Safe” as a complete surprise — with no word on whether the track anticipates some larger project. That said, the elusiveness Young Thug possesses as a figure of popular culture lends itself to this sort of unexpected release for Thug.

Unlike what fans saw for most of 2015 and 2016, Thug has remained relatively quiet in the media following the success of his most recent record, “Jeffrey.” While occupied with both a solo tour and a tour with Drake, there was no public word that Thug had been recording new music.

“Safe” released Feb. 23 alongside Thug’s most well-produced, minimalist music video yet. “Safe” fits best in the context of melodic pop sound shown in “Jeffrey,” and the whitewashed visuals match this polished feel. Generally, Young Thug has reflected this trend since last spring with the conclusion of the “Slime Season” series. While there is no doubt the artist will not fully abandon his internet-mixtape roots, Thug has seen his potential for more commercial success and is thus capitalizing with more professional tours, promotion and music.

Thug brings innovative flows to “Safe,” particularly in the track’s bridge where he sings “In the daytime a n—a havin’ nightmares / I wonder if he answerin’ every one of my prayers.” He switches his flow from the previous verse, showcasing one of Thug’s most special qualities — his ability to utilize his auto-tuned voice as an instrument itself.

Throughout the song, Thug sings “I spend more money on security than I make,” with a peculiar moaning style nearly reminiscent of Lil Wayne. What stands out most, though, is the track’s songwriting. With such a variety of vocal melodies, Thug seamlessly carries the track from verse to verse and keeps the four minutes engaging by featuring a couple of EDM-style buildups.

“Safe” does not indicate a significant change in Young Thug’s current style. Though it could only be a “Jeffrey” B-side, it does highlight the work Thug puts into perfecting his artistic image. Despite a recent dip in public activity, Thug is notorious for his constant flow of new — often leaked — content, and “Safe” should hold listeners over until Thug’s next big move.