FITZPATRICK: Presidential Search Committee is off to a strong, inclusive start

There is still a lot of ground to cover to find the best president for U.Va.

Thomas Jefferson once referred to the University as “the future bulwark of the human mind in this hemisphere” in his private correspondence. If this lofty goal is to be achieved, the University must be led by people who share Jefferson’s enthusiasm for intellectual engagement and the lived experience of scholarship. As the University enters a search for its ninth president, it has grand visions for its place in the world for the coming century and must choose its leader carefully. Fortunately, the Presidential Search Committee is prioritizing community engagement, global leadership and student experience — areas which, if pursued, will lead to the selection of a worthy new president.

The Search Committee has been remarkably transparent and open to community input, concurrent with Jefferson’s ideal of democratic self-governance. The presidential search website contains numerous details regarding the intricacies of the process, including the members of the committee, a step-by-step outline of the search process and information regarding the search firm which has been contracted. The job description is also available, as well as general information regarding the organizational hierarchy at the University. While there are obviously some parts which must be confidential, all meetings of the committee are open to the public, and the committee has committed to fair processing of Freedom of Information Act requests. This transparency shows the community that the search is moving forward with the correct priorities and procedures.

Even more impressive is the commitment to community involvement. Students are encouraged to take a survey to share their thoughts, and general input is being solicited from the community in general. Tangibly, on April 21 there was a public forum where people had the opportunity to voice their concerns with the present and hopes for the future. Members of the Search Committee were present and engaged, describing their search as “the most open presidential search we’ve seen in the sense of outreach to constituents, listening and engagement.” This openness demonstrates the University really exists first and foremost for the students and community.

When Thomas Jefferson visualized the Academical Village, he was seeking to create the ideal student learning environment. Everything he designed was intended to make the learning experience easier and better for the students. The Search Committee has prioritized students, by placing concern for them prominently in the job description for the president. It is the first area mentioned in the “Foundations for the Future” section, as well as in “Challenges and Priorities.” Other areas of focus such as hiring professors and fundraising are all subservient to the overarching goal of supporting students.

In a world more interconnected than ever, it makes sense to search for a president who would broaden the University’s universal mission, turning it into more of a global university.The search has already put forth global engagement as a pillar of any future success. The University already has a strong presence overseas, with over 2,000 students studying abroad each year. The University also attracts international talent, with almost 150 nations represented on grounds. The University has an opportunity to build on the previous two centuries of growth and move strongly into our third century, and “extending our global influence” must be a top priority.

Having a solid process does not guarantee a good outcome, but it certainly helps. The Search Committee and the Board of Visitors have put in place an open and forward-looking plan which seeks to engage the community and enhance the student experience. The University community must hold the Search Committee accountable to its promises. The committee could easily disregard the communities input, and it is up to us to ensure they stick to their commitments. As the University heads into its third century it must be lead by someone who shares Mr. Jefferson’s lofty view of the University. The current process is well-suited to finding such a president.

Connor Fitzpatrick is an Opinion columnist at The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at opinion@cavalierdaily.com.