Cantwell to remain in custody at Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail

White nationalist denied bond after facing judge Thursday morning

<p>In August, &nbsp;Cantwell turned himself in after being charged with three felonies related to the Aug. 11 torchlit march on Grounds.&nbsp;</p>

In August,  Cantwell turned himself in after being charged with three felonies related to the Aug. 11 torchlit march on Grounds. 

White nationalist Christopher Cantwell faced an Albemarle County General District Court judge Thursday morning.

Cantwell was in attendance at the torch-lit march Aug. 11 and received national attention for his appearance in a VICE News Tonight episode featuring the Aug. 12 “Unite the Right” rally.

University Police said earlier this week that Cantwell has been charged with two counts of “illegal use of tear gas, phosgene and other gases” and one count of “malicious bodily injury by means of any caustic substance or agent or use of any explosive or fire” — all of which are felonies. 

Cantwell turned himself into the Lynchburg Police Department on Wednesday after the University Police Department obtained arrest warrants for him related to the Aug. 11 white nationalist torchlit march on Grounds, which turned violent and resulted in a number of injuries. 

The Daily Progress reported Bond was not set at Thursday’s court appearance and Cantwell indicated he will be hiring his own lawyer. 

Cantwell was held at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail before being transported to the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

He is scheduled to return to the Albemarle County General District Court on Oct. 12 at 10:30 a.m.