One person arrested at Wertland Block Party

Only three rescue calls made during annual party

<p>The Wertland Street Block Party is not a University-sanctioned event.&nbsp;</p>

The Wertland Street Block Party is not a University-sanctioned event. 

According to the Charlottesville Police Department, only one arrest was made Saturday night during Block Party. Charlottesville Albemarle Rescue Squad also responded to only three calls throughout the night. 

The single arrest made was of a Charlottesville resident for the charge of public intoxication. 

The rescue calls were made for one fall and two cases of “excessive alcohol consumption.”
Block Party is an annual event held by multiple student residents of Wertland and 14th Streets. It is not a University-sanctioned event, and University President Teresa Sullivan asked students not to attend following the violent “Unite the Right” rally.

The University also typically provides alternate programming for students on the night of Block Party. This year, however, rappers Future and Lil Yachty canceled their show organized by the University Programs Council for the night of Block Party. After trying to find a last-minute artist — namely Chance the Rapper — to headline the Welcome Week Concert, UPC suspended their efforts last Friday.

The number of arrests and summonses decreased significantly from last year’s Block Party, which saw two arrests, 19 summonses and eight warnings, along with two rescue calls. 

CPD said there were crowds of over 2,000 attendees at Block Party despite Sullivan’s request and alternate programming provided by organizations such as Housing and Residence Life. 

“The focus of this year’s operation was safety of the attending students and community guests,” the press release read. “CPD would like to thank the U.Va. student body for their support of our police officers by keeping city streets and sidewalks clear.”