Charlottesville man arrested in connection to attempted Wertland Street abduction

Matthew Kyle Logarides charged with abduction by force, sexual battery

Detectives with the Charlottesville Police Department arrested a Charlottesville man Thursday in connection to the Oct. 27 Wertland Street attempted abduction

Matthew Kyle Logarides, 29, was charged with misdemeanor sexual battery and felony abduction by force, according to records from the Charlottesville General District Court.

The reported incident involved a female victim who was walking on the 1100 block of Wertland Street when a stranger approached her from behind, covered her mouth and forced her to the ground.

The suspect then threatened the victim, but fled when a passerby heard her scream.

Police had previously circulated images of a person of interest who was described as a “white male who was seen wearing a dark two-toned hooded jacket, dark pants and a green camouflage style baseball hat.”

Logarides is scheduled for a hearing in Charlottesville General District Court Jan. 25, and in the meantime is being held in Albemarle Charlottesville Regional Jail.

The Charlottesville Police Department said in a release that anyone with information should contact Detective Wright-Settle at (434) 970-3274 or Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000.