No. 2 Virginia takes down Georgia Tech in Thursday night showdown

<p>Redshirt freshman guard De'Andre Hunter led his team with 17 points en route to victory over Georgia Tech Thursday night.</p>

Redshirt freshman guard De'Andre Hunter led his team with 17 points en route to victory over Georgia Tech Thursday night.

After starting off ACC play undefeated with four out of their first five games at home, the Virginia men’s basketball team headed on the road to Atlanta, Ga. to take on Georgia Tech, beginning a challenging road stretch that consists of six road games out of their next nine games.

The Cavaliers (17-1, 6-0 ACC) continued their dominance in conference play with a strong 64-48 win over the Yellow Jackets (10-8, 3-2 ACC). Virginia was incredibly balanced on offense with four of its players scoring in double-digits and senior forward Isaiah Wilkins also chipping in nine. Wilkins had an overall fantastic performance, adding five rebounds, three steals and two blocks.

Sophomore guard Ty Jerome put together a stat line of 12 points, six rebounds and five assists.

However, it was redshirt freshman guard De’Andre Hunter who stole the show, leading both teams with 17 points on 7-9 shooting. Hunter led all Virginia players with seven rebounds.

Despite the road challenge and the Yellow Jackets coming in with a four-game winning streak, the Cavaliers’ pack-line defense was stellar once again, holding Georgia Tech to under 50 points. It was Virginia’s eighth game of the season holding their opponent to under 50 points.

Virginia will have a quick turnaround as they travel to Winston-Salem, N.C. for a Sunday evening showdown with Wake Forest. That game is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. The Cavaliers will then return to John Paul Jones Arena for a Top 25 showdown with No. 20 Clemson.