No. 5 men’s tennis extends win streak to five games with wins against Florida State and Miami

The Cavaliers head back to Florida and defeat two ACC foes to retain second-place in the conference

wiersholm-henrik-0324-2

A singles victory by senior Henrik Wiersholm sealed the match for Virginia.

Courtesy Virginia Athletics

Over the weekend, No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis (17-3, 8-2 ACC) headed down south after a three-game homestand to face No. 31 Florida State (15-8, 5-5 ACC) and No. 24 Miami (16-7, 7-3 ACC).

Virginia kicked off their weekend Friday against Florida State, a team that recently fell to N.C. State and North Carolina, two top-25 teams. This match would prove to be no different, as the Seminoles fell to the Cavaliers.

Senior Henrik Wiersholm clinches the victory over No.31 Florida State

Florida State dropped a doubles point to start off the match after a strong tiebreak win by Virginia senior Henrik Wiersholm and freshman Brandon Nakashima. 

Going into the singles matches, Florida State was able to tie the match back up momentarily, with a win by sophomore Sebastian Arcila over sophomore Matthew Lord. This would be the only point the Seminoles would be able to tally, as wins by No. 10 junior Carl Soderlund, Nakashima and Wiersholm sealed the deal for the Cavaliers. 

Two days later, Virginia traveled further south to Coral Gables to face the No. 24 Miami Hurricanes, a team that has posted quality wins against No. 22 Notre Dame and No. 43 Virginia Tech in the weeks past. Nevertheless, the Cavaliers only dropped one set in four matches against Miami, defeating the Hurricanes in a convincing 4-0 fashion.

Virginia finishes off ACC play next weekend in Charlottesville against No. 11 North Carolina (16-4, 8-2 ACC) and rival No. 43 Virginia Tech (15-7, 5-5 ACC).

related stories