Ryan Conrad honored with the 2019 Men’s Lacrosse Senior CLASS Award

Conrad is the first Virginia’s men’s lacrosse player to win the award

<p>Senior midfielder Ryan Conrad was awarded the 2019 Senior CLASS Award Friday.&nbsp;</p>

Senior midfielder Ryan Conrad was awarded the 2019 Senior CLASS Award Friday. 

As Virginia men’s lacrosse season nears its end, one of the team’s captains — senior midfielder Ryan Conrad — earned a coveted award Friday. Conrad was announced as the winner of the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award. 

"I am so shocked, surprised and happy about winning this coveted award," Conrad said. 

The Senior CLASS Award is awarded to the most outstanding senior college athletes in nine Division I sports. Specifically, the award is given to senior student-athletes who excel in four areas — community, classroom, character and competition. Standing for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award honors well-rounded student-athletes who make a positive impact as leaders. 

"The Senior CLASS Award has been earned by the finest of young people in the sport of lacrosse, and Ryan Conrad continues this tradition," Coach Lars Tiffany said. 

After suffering a season-ending injury last year, Conrad has returned to form in 2019, producing 28 goals and 18 assists this season. Conrad also leads all offensive players in the country with 83 ground balls — a testament to his hustle on the field.  

The Maryland native earned a number of honors due to his strong play this year. Conrad was named to the USILA All-America first team and the Inside Lacrosse All-America second team. He was also an All-ACC selection and the ACC Tournament MVP.

In addition to being a talented player, over the course of his time at Virginia, Conrad was admitted to the McIntire School of Commerce, participated in several community outreach efforts and embraced various leadership positions on grounds. 

Serving as the co-president of Student-Athletes Committed to Honor and helping run the Will Barrow Memorial Flag Football Tournament are just a few examples of Conrad’s good work.

"Ryan Conrad is an impressive young man who has fought through adversity and displayed excellence in every aspect of a Division I student-athlete," said Erik Miner, Executive Director for the Senior CLASS Award. "What he has done on the field is impressive, but he's also embraced his roles as a student, role model and member of the community, and he has made a positive impact in each facet.”

With Championship Weekend on the horizon, Conrad hopes to cap off his Virginia career with a national title. Conrad may potentially play his last game as a Cavalier this Saturday when Virginia faces Duke in Philadelphia, Pa., at Lincoln Financial Field. Faceoff is set for noon.