Top 10 ways to enjoy the new semester

A how-to on staying sane throughout the year

<p>There may be one week where you have all the free time in the world to dedicate to your friends and the next where you have a packed Google Calendar that may require careful attention to even schedule a get-together.&nbsp;</p>

There may be one week where you have all the free time in the world to dedicate to your friends and the next where you have a packed Google Calendar that may require careful attention to even schedule a get-together. 

1. Small Breaks

I know we’re all very busy, so we have to enjoy the little moments. Your phone or laptop doesn’t need to be the center of attention all the time. Take a moment to look around. That 10-minute walk from Gilmer to Bryan may be hot right now, but it’s also pretty cute when you take it all in.

2. Fun classes

Classes may be stressful, but you signed up for the ones you did for a reason — because you are interested in them! No one is forcing you to learn anymore. You do this because you love it. So don’t forget to enjoy it and make the most of the information you learn.

3. See your friends

There may be one week where you have all the free time in the world to dedicate to your friends and the next where you have a packed Google Calendar that may require careful attention to even schedule a get-together. Regardless, hanging out with your friends should be a priority because they can make even the difficult things seem enjoyable. 

4. Get involved in activities

Crowds of people swarmed the activities fair this year, and it was so wonderful to see heaps of people eager to get involved at U.Va. The nearly overwhelming quantity of booths reminded me that there is truly something for everyone — you just have to take the time to try. Find out what you are passionate about and start exploring!

5. Explore Charlottesville

Spending a part of my summer in Charlottesville showed me how much I’ve been neglecting all that it has to offer. If someone asks you for your favorite place to eat on the Corner and your first response is Sheetz or even Bodo’s, you have not been out of your comfort zone. I know, I know, I love their bagels too — but there are other places to eat.

6. Find new things

For first-years, all you will be doing this semester is discovering new classes you enjoy, new places to go and new people to see. For everyone else, it’s easy to get stuck in a routine. As much as I love a good routine, don’t let it settle into normalcy. Keep things interesting! Find a new hobby or explore a fun pastime. I hear golf is nice.

7. Don’t stress too much

I am definitely guilty of this and you’re lying to yourself if you think that you’re not. If you catch yourself stressing out, please take a moment to remind yourself that everything will be okay. Watch a YouTube video or look at a meme or whatever it is that you enjoy. Talk to someone you trust and believe that whatever is causing you stress will work out. We’ve only just left our childhoods behind, so there is no need to rush headlong into adulthood quite yet. 

8. Blow off some steam

Plenty of people exercise in order to achieve this goal — ew. I personally enjoy driving around and blasting music. To each their own, but do literally anything so you don’t wind up having a mental breakdown.

9. Get hype for the future

Fall is coming! We’ve only been here for a week, but I am already waiting for the leaves to turn orange and for sweater weather to begin. Get ready for hot chocolate and happiness — I know I am.

10. Do whatever you want

When it comes down to it, you know what will make you happy. Make sure to take some time to reflect on what that is. Prioritize it or at least keep it in mind. You got this! I wish you all an amazing semester!