No. 1 women’s soccer battles to a scoreless draw against N.C. State

The Cavaliers recorded their third conference draw despite a strong defensive effort against the Wolfpack

<p>The Cavaliers put up a fight but remained scoreless through overtime as the Wolfpack limited scoring opportunities.&nbsp;</p>

The Cavaliers put up a fight but remained scoreless through overtime as the Wolfpack limited scoring opportunities. 

No. 1 Virginia traveled to Raleigh, N.C., to take on N.C. State Wednesday, sending the match into overtime for the third time this season and coming up scoreless through the extra periods. The Cavaliers (10-0-3, 2-0-3 ACC) played strong defensively and saw several attempts on goal, but were unable to score against the Wolfpack (6-4-3, 1-1-3 ACC). 

With the game stretching into overtime, strong defensive play from both teams limited the number of offensive attacks. Virginia ultimately ended with five shots on goal, while N.C. State had two. 

In the eighth minute, Senior forward Meghan McCool sent a shot towards the goal that just missed the upper crossbar. Seven minutes later, the Wolfpack responded with a shot by senior midfielder Ricci Walkling that was saved by junior goalkeeper Laurel Ivory. 

Freshman midfielder Diana Ordonez, who scored two of Virginia's three goals in their game against Miami last week, produced an on-target shot in the 77th minute, but junior goalkeeper Jessica Berlin was able to make the save for the Wolfpack. Ordonez challenged another shot in the 85th minute off a free kick, but Berlin made another diving save to send the game into overtime. 

Virginia saw three chances in the first period of overtime, including two quick shots following a corner kick in the 92nd minute.

Freshman forward Leyah Hall-Robinson and Walkling contributed a combined three shots in the second overtime period for the Wolfpack while sophomore forward Rebecca Jarrett posted the lone attempt for the Cavaliers before time ran out. 

The match marks the second consecutive match the teams have played to a scoreless draw at Dail Stadium. 

Virginia will seek a third conference victory Sunday in Tallahassee, Fla., against No. 5 Florida State.