One reason to fall in love with each Virginia spring sports team

Find your perfect match with another exciting season of Virginia sports

<p>Given that the Cavaliers are front-runners to defend their national title, it’s the perfect time to hop on the men's lacrosse bandwagon.&nbsp;</p>

Given that the Cavaliers are front-runners to defend their national title, it’s the perfect time to hop on the men's lacrosse bandwagon. 

With both Valentine’s Day and the spring collegiate athletics season nearing, let’s take a look at the most attractive feature of every varsity-level Virginia team playing this spring.

Baseball — a promising freshman class

Despite a disappointing 2019, an exciting freshman class makes 2020 Virginia baseball a must-see. On the pitching side, freshmen Matt Wyatt, Jake Hodorovich and standout early enrollee Nate Savino will join more experienced Cavaliers in the pen. Additionally, the highly-rated pair of Chris Newell and Tate Ballestero will contribute effective hitting and versatile defense. With so much young talent, this year’s Cavaliers have the chance to surprise a lot of people.

Softball — a shiny new stadium

If there were ever a time to become a Virginia softball fan, it would be now. This season, the Cavaliers are finally moving on from The Park — the aging run-down facility the softball team has used for years —  and will be transitioning into a brand-new stadium — Palmer Park. Equipped with modern amenities and world-class facilities, Palmer Park is a dream come true for Virginia players and fans alike. Located right at the heart of the athletics precinct near John Paul Jones arena and Klockner stadium, the new facility will be a great venue to watch softball games. 

Golf — best tournament locations

Virginia student-athletes travel extensively, but few teams visit places as beautiful and unique as the men’s and women’s golf teams. From Kauai, Hawaii to Ponte Vedra, Fla. and Guadalajara, Mexico, Virginia golfers travel thousands of miles to compete. If you’re a fan of watching talented collegiate athletes play on lush green courses in sunny weather, you’ll have plenty of opportunities with Virginia golf.

Men’s lacrosse — national championship frontrunners

In 2019, two Virginia teams — men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse — brought home a national title. However, only the latter of those teams returns virtually its entire roster this season. With their four top point-scorers and four All-Americans back for 2020, the Cavaliers are poised for another deep run and are favored by many to defend their title. Given that many polls have Virginia ranked as either the No. 1 or No. 2 team in the country, it’s the perfect time to hop on the men’s lacrosse bandwagon.

Women’s lacrosse — time for young players to take center stage

The Virginia women’s lacrosse roster will look substantially different this year compared to last season. From offensive standouts Avery Shoemaker and Maggie Jackson to the defensive trio of Sophie Alecce, Kaitlin Luzik and Allison Shields, the Cavaliers have to replace a lot of talent. Fortunately, Virginia can expect to see several fresh faces step up and make a name for themselves on the field.

Women’s tennis — four nationally ranked singles players

Virginia’s talented women’s tennis team includes multiple players featured in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s women’s tennis rankings. Leading the pack is 21st-ranked freshman Natasha Subhash, who was recently named the inaugural UTR ITA Division I Women’s Player of the Week. In addition to Subhash, No. 55 junior Rosie Johanson, No. 78 sophomore Amber O’Dell and No. 87 Sofia Munera. With so many women’s tennis players excelling, you don’t want to miss a match. 

Men’s tennis — home games early and often

If you’re looking for the opportunity to catch some action on Grounds, men’s tennis might just be your best bet. The team will play 10 of its remaining 15 regular season matches at home at the Sheridan Snyder Tennis Center. Half of those games will be against ACC opponents — Notre Dame, NC State, Wake Forest, Florida State and Miami. Located extremely close to Central Grounds, men’s tennis games are a convenient opportunity to witness high-level competition.

Outdoor track and field — first season under a new director

In September, Vin Lananna was named the new director of track and field and cross-country for Virginia. A collegiate track and field icon, Lananna’s presence is already being felt within the program after a solid cross-country season. With a resume that includes winning 11 NCAA team championships and building powerhouse programs at Stanford and Oregon, Lananna hopes to replicate what he’s accomplished in the past elsewhere at Virginia. While it may take some time, Virginia track and field could be on its way to becoming a national contender.

Rowing — ACC domination

In the 21st century, Virginia rowing has been dominant within the ACC — showcasing a level of consistent superiority that few teams have exhibited at any level or in any sport. Since 2000, Virginia has won 19 of 20 ACC rowing championships, including the last 10 consecutive titles. No other Virginia team can claim the same level of success as the Cavalier rowers. Given Virginia fans’ love for winning, the rowing team is the perfect outlet for their passion.