Monday morning Collab outage leaves students unable to access coursework, classes

The issue was resolved at 1:45 p.m. Monday

U.Va. IT does not currently know the root cause of the outage.

Students were unable to access the University’s online course management and collaboration system — UVACollab — Monday due to an outage on the site. 

The incident occurred as students across Grounds were attempting to access online coursework and Zoom sessions. Some students report on social media that they were unable to attend their virtual classes. 

“It’s not an ideal time to have an issue,” said Dave Strite, assistant vice president for user experience and engagement.

Some students speculated that the outage occurred because U.Va. Information Technology had scheduled site maintenance for Labor Day on the belief that students didn’t have classes. However, Strite the outage was certainly not planned. 

“We definitely knew there were classes today,” Strite said. 

The IT department filed the incident at 10:34 a.m. Monday morning and resolved the outage at approximately 1:45 p.m. At this time, the department does not know the root cause of the outage, but site engineers will perform a thorough investigation to determine the source of the issue. 

Although the exact source of the Collab outage is unknown as of Monday, Strite believes the issues lies in the Collab site's storage infrastructure. The IT department will resolve the problem to ensure that such an outage will not occur again. 

"We’ll find the exact root cause and get a permanent fix put in place," Strite said. “We just want to say we apologize for the inconvenience. Obviously this is not the kind of service that we strive for, and we’re going to find ways to do better.”