U.Va. reports 201 total cases in the community, of which 161 are students

31 positive cases were reported on Tuesday, the single largest daily increase

A “Die-In” demonstration was held on the Lawn Wednesday to protest the University’s decision to proceed with in-person classes, which are scheduled to begin Tuesday.

Lea en español

Since August 17, a total of 201 positive coronavirus cases have been reported on the University’s COVID Tracker, 161 of which are student cases. The numbers only include those who have been tested through Student Health & Wellness or a University clinic. 

Tuesday marked the largest number of cases reported in a single day, with 31 total cases in the University community comprising students, faculty, staff and contracted employees. Following Tuesday, there were a total of 19 positive tests on Wednesday and 27 on Thursday. 

These numbers do not include pre-arrival testing, which all students planning on returning to Grounds this semester are required to complete. Of the 17,820 tests submitted thus far, 61 were positive. 

According to University spokesperson Wes Hester, the University is using a third-party vendor for the initial phase of the asymptomatic voluntary testing of employees. Because it just launched this week, the numbers are not currently represented in the data, but the University plans to include them. 

While isolation rooms remain empty, five percent of quarantine rooms have been occupied. Included in the five percent are students who are in post-travel quarantine. 

According to metrics from an unreleased VDH dashboard, Charlottesville currently has a 9.7 percent positivity rate. The University previously indicated that a five percent or lower positivity rate in the city was needed in order for Grounds to reopen. The World Health Organization advises states to have a positivity rate of five percent or lower for at least 14 days before reopening, but Virginia overall currently has a positivity rate of 7.02 percent. 

A “Die-In” demonstration was held on the Lawn Wednesday to protest the University’s decision to proceed with in-person classes, which are scheduled to begin Sept. 8. 

This story will be updated.