Virginia Athletics reports seven positive COVID-19 test results over the past week

There have been a total of 83 positive COVID-19 tests across 7,102 tests administered since July 5

<p>Attendance at Virginia Athletics events has remained limited to friends and family of the student-athletes and coaching staff.&nbsp;</p>

Attendance at Virginia Athletics events has remained limited to friends and family of the student-athletes and coaching staff. 

Following the administration of 1,089 COVID-19 tests between Oct. 5 and Oct. 11, Virginia Athletics reported seven positive results across the department for a total positivity rate of 0.6 percent. 

Jim Daves, assistant athletics director for media relations, has previously stated that Virginia’s in-season COVID-19 testing updates would not include the number of hospitalizations, if any, the unique number of individuals tested or the athletic teams responsible for the positive test results.

This reflects a 0.5 percent decrease from the 1.1 percent positivity rate reported during the week of Sept. 28. The total number of positive cases since testing began July 5 has now risen to 83, with a total positivity rate of 1.2 percent across 7,102 total tests. Furthermore, this is the second consecutive week where the number of positive tests have decreased, falling from 22 total positive tests the week of Sept. 21 and 12 positive tests the week of Sept. 28

“All positive tests were reported to the Thomas Jefferson Health District of the Virginia Department of Health,” the press release said. “The individuals who tested positive for COVID-19 were notified according to local health guidelines as a means to trace contacts. Those individuals will self-isolate for at least 10 days, or until symptoms are resolving plus 24-hours fever free (whichever is longer) and be medically evaluated before they will be cleared to resume daily sports participation.”

In accordance with ACC regulations, football, field hockey, volleyball, and men’s and women’s soccer student-athletes are tested three times per week as they have been evaluated as “high-risk” sports by the ACC Medical Advisory Group. While the men’s and women’s cross-country teams are in season as well, the sport is considered to be a “medium-risk” sport, and as such, its student-athletes are tested every other week. Additionally, teams that are out-of-season are not tested as often as those currently competing. 

All tests are administered by U.Va. Health with the exception of tests administered to the football team prior to a game. These tests are administered by Mako Medical — an independent third-party health care diagnostic laboratory based in Raleigh, N.C. 

Notably, there were no new positive test results for the football team prior to its Saturday loss to NC State, but seven athletes remain in quarantine or isolation due to positive test results that came back prior to the Clemson clash Oct. 3. 

As of Monday, there are 99 active COVID-19 cases in the University community, 78 of which were students. Twenty percent of the University’s quarantine rooms — used for students exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 — and 8 percent of the isolation rooms — used for students who tested positive for COVID-19 — are currently occupied. The University has 1,500 total quarantine rooms. These numbers include the tests administered to student-athletes by U.Va. Health and can be seen in the University’s COVID-19 tracker