Rotunda Sing hopes to safely bring University and Charlottesville communities together

University Singers will kick off this year's Rotunda Sing

<p>This year, UPC returned to its usual live Rotunda Sing format, with the addition of bringing in several Charlottesville vendors to the event.</p>

This year, UPC returned to its usual live Rotunda Sing format, with the addition of bringing in several Charlottesville vendors to the event.

This year's Rotunda Sing will unite the University and surrounding Charlottesville community in ways reminiscent of years past while maintaining safety, says Brightney Varghese, fourth-year College student and director of the Arts and Enrichment Committee of the University Programs Council.

Taking place Wednesday, Sept. 1, Rotunda Sing will return to its historic location on the Lawn from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. after being postponed due to inclement weather.

Although last year's event took place virtually, the event will look similar to past Rotunda Sings, bringing together a range of musical groups on Grounds. Student-run a cappella groups such as the Virginia Belles, the Hullabahoos and the University of Virginia No Tones will perform alongside University ensembles like University Singers.

Last year's virtual format significantly reduced UPC's planning for the event, as participating groups sent in pre-edited videos to be played together for the event. This year, however, UPC returned to its usual form, while also bringing in several Charlottesville vendors to the event.

“We’re trying to find safe ways to bring together the community," Varghese said.

Prior to Rotunda Sing, UPC will host a pre-event from 7:15 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the Lawn with free Mellow Mushroom as part of an effort to encourage underclassmen to attend this University tradition and meet fellow students.

Rotunda Sing will follow the University's guidelines to reduce the spread of COVID-19 by requiring all unvaccinated performers and guests to wear a mask through the honor code system. However, UPC encourages any performers or attendees who feel more safe wearing a mask to do so, given that wearing a mask is always the safer option. 

Varghese, who attended Rotunda Sing during her first and second year at the University and will return as a fourth-year, is looking forward to seeing all students come together for this special University tradition. 

This year's live format also encouraged participating groups to ramp up their preparation for one of their first live performances since the pandemic.

The New Dominions, who will perform in the latter half of the event, used the week before classes to rehearse for the event, spending eight hours each day memorizing music, drilling dynamics and ensuring top-notch performance quality. 

"It’s definitely been a bit challenging getting back into live performance prep after a year of virtual music but I’m so proud of Newdos for all of our hard work and can’t wait to share what we’ve put together," said Abby Rothenberg, fourth-year Batten and Education student and president of the New Dominions.

The lineup for the 2021 Rotunda Sing is as follows:

1. University Singers
  2. Christian 'Hoos Exalt
  3. Hoos in Treble
  4. Barbers of Cville
  5. Hoos in the Stairwell
  6. Flying V's
  7. Remix
  8. University of Virginia No Tones
  9. Harmonious Hoos
  10. Virginia Sil'hooettes
  11. The Virginia Gentlemen
  12. Achoostics
  13. The Virginia Belles
  14. Hullabahoos
  15. The Virginia Women's Chorus
  16. The New Dominions
  17. Academical Village People
  18. Virginia Glee Club