Bystander accidentally struck by gunfire in Boylan Heights restroom

The bystander is in a stable condition

<p>The bystander was transported to U.Va. Health for treatment and is currently in stable condition.</p>

The bystander was transported to U.Va. Health for treatment and is currently in stable condition.

中文版请点击此处

Charlottesville Police are investigating an incident in which a bystander was struck by a round that went through a bathroom wall at Boylan Heights at approximately 12:26 a.m. Friday night, according to a community alert sent by Timothy Longo, associate vice president for security and safety.

“Charlottesville Police continue to investigate the circumstances that led to the round being fired through the wall,” The alert reads. “At this time it appears that the victim was struck inadvertently.”

The bystander was transported to U.Va. Health for treatment and is currently in a stable condition. No description of the suspect was provided.

The incident is the fourth shots fired incident reported in the past two weeks. Multiple shots were reported behind The Standard apartment complex Aug. 21, while another shots fired incident was reported Monday night on the 300 block of Paton Street, and a third occurred Wednesday night. 

Based on surveillance footage, a Charlottesville Police Department officer identified the suspect involved in the shooting — Taylor Ryan Woodson, a resident of Louisa County. The gun used was also obtained as evidence. 

Woodson is being held at the Albemarle/Charlottesville regional jail, charged with reckless handling of a firearm and willful discharge of a firearm with bodily harm. 

“Community alerts” are shared with the University community when there is sufficient and timely information that can be released to the community without compromising any on-going investigations. “Timely warnings” are sent when crimes committed pose an “on-going threat” to the safety of the community.

This article was updated to include information about CPD identifying, arresting and charging the suspect.